Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, due to new arrival, my gt has become pretty much unused in my garage, I really need something bigger. I'm not desperate to sell it (I don't want to, I have finally got it running beautiful) but needs must! I have only advertised it on here,not ebay or autotrader yet. http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=8857&cat=100

My main question to you is, am I asking too much? I know it's cloth. And has the damaged sills but looking around its cheaper than others.
It runs beautiful now since the injectors have been changed, everything works, doesn't need cambelt/variator doing for a while and really doesn't need anything spending except the sills sorting out. The sills didn't really bother me as you cannot see the damage unless looking underneath the car or looking very closely.

I am Open to sensible offers but there are older cars with higher mileage selling for more. My car is now mechanically sound and runs like a dream, just has a few cosmetic issues but these could be resolved quite cheaply by the right person/company, I just don't have the time.

I would appreciate a honest opinion on price guide though.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi,

We've been down this road before with asking price threads but if you're asking me, I'd say your price was fair. Your main problem is the lack of leather. Buy a second hand leather interior on ebay for £200 and fit it then you'll stand more chance of selling. If the alloys are other than lightly curbed, you could get them refurbed for around £75 each. Similarly with the scratch on the boot and the sills - get them sorted! Buyers don't want the hassle of knowing they have to do jobs like that after they buy the car with no real idea of how much it's going to cost.
I would take close up pictures of the sill and the worst alloy damage so people have an idea what they're buying before they travel. It's a matter of taste but I think your head unit looks awful - put the original one back. After you've done all that, I reckon you could probably ask another £500 because it's basically a lovely looking car with good history and sensible miles.
Good luck

·
Registered
230 Posts
The advert doesn't make it immediately clear what engine it has - when I was searching for a GT, I was looking specifically for a diesel, so I didn't bother to look at any adverts that didn't say so

In your case, there may be people looking for a petrol engine, but who may not read your ad because it isn't immediately obvious

C

·
0 Posts
It's a 2.0 JTS petrol, but it would be helpfull if it was stated clearly in the advert...

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I have updated ad with engine size, stupid of me not to put it. Cannot update the main title but I put it on the main advert.
I unfortunately don't have the spare cash to rectify the Boot/sills/alloys, hence why my price is lower than I could have charged. I am open to sensible offers though.
The alloys are not that bad to be honest.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its gone! Got 3k for it as part ex for a Renault Laguna. Prob will regret it but Renault was lovely to drive and much larger, has loads of kit, 5 star n cap rating and to be honest, was quite nippy. Would have loved a nice 159 but budget didn't quite stretch. Picking it up on Saturday.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Indeed.....the Laguna is the car that almost brought Renault down it was so bad! Mine (from last year) had a list of faults that would make an Alfa blush.....they do look quite good though.

·
Registered
401 Posts
We have a laguna that the wife uses and to be fair mechanically its very good - done 165k miles with no mechanic problems i can think of (1.9dci) . Original clutch etc - no dodgy running - all good

Now electrics - hmmmm not so good! 2 electric window motors and linkages (known weak point) - not cheap for the parts (approx £700 for both altogether supplied and fitted).

Electronic head light adjusters failed - another £300 odd

Electric sunroof is completely screwed - just left it as Renault wanted over a grand to fix.

But id say its a good car - cheap to buy, good economy, good safety, loads of space, well equipped - BORING TO DRIVE THOUGH lol

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
My wife has a Megane (same 1.9dci engine). It's an awful, unreliable, un-fixable piece of junk! It's been to several garages (including two Renault main dealers) for the same EGR and MAF related faults which cannot be cleared, because of this its worth about £2 and nigh on impossible to sell on. Which is a pain because we want rid of it and she wants a Mito...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Honestly our Laguna has never ever had maf, egr , any running probs at all - and like i say 165 k mileage.

Just electrically rubbish

I have heard Renault have a bad rep though

G

·
0 Posts
Have to admit we had more problems with the renaults on the hire fleet than any other car.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Honestly our Laguna has never ever had maf, egr , any running probs at all - and like i say 165 k mileage.

Just electrically rubbish

I have heard Renault have a bad rep though
So far in the past 4 months its had 6 different EGR valves and 3 MAF's (obviously all have been returned as faulty by Renault so only paid for one of each), because they cannot figure the fault they're not charging labour costs either. They've even tried a known, working ECU on it and it made zero difference. I've stood in the workshop while they stripped the breather system, turbo, intercooler etc and everything is in near perfect order. Wiring looms have been changed/ checked and its still behaving like a Frenchman.

I'm at the point with it that I may test the 5-star safety rating with a brick wall!

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
It was a Laguna that made me switch to a more reliable brand - Alfa.

I had a petrol one, bought in 2002 for around £20k, sold in 2006 for £2k, having just spent £1k on a service. And I would have taken less than 2k just to get rid of it!
In the last 6 months of ownership I had to replace the alternator, the battery, the engine mangement system, pretty much all the electrics.
About the only good thing with it was when you were using the sat nav and hooning along a road, it would show you how sharp a bend was.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is a petrol 08 plate, FSH, 1 owner 26k miles.
My GT cost me 6k and I have spend over 3k on it in 18m and got 3k for it so it cost me 6k in 18months. This Laguna was only £4500 so cannot loose as much!?!?

It drives really nice and to be honest, this GT is the 3rd Alfa I have had and not enjoyed it at all.

Hopefully be back with a 159 within 2 years.....

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I don't like French cars all that much. Though I owned a Renault that was old many years ago, only one of two cars that ever left me stranded and requiring a breakdown service (the other an original Mini though I was an idiot with that one).
However the mileage that car did, and it's age it was hardly surprising really.

Mate at work has a Scenic, though a 2011 or 2012 and has had zero problems. Pot luck these days with newer cars I'm convinced :(

There is nowt more annoying than a car with multiple problems. Good luck with the Laguna

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
My GT cost me 6k and I have spend over 3k on it in 18m and got 3k for it so it cost me 6k in 18months. This Laguna was only £4500 so cannot loose as much!?!?
Depends how much you spend on it in your time of ownership and how much you finally sell it for.

And it's 'lose'

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Depends how much you spend on it in your time of ownership and how much you finally sell it for.

And it's 'lose'

All the best

Pub
It does and quite frankly £6k in 18 months is pretty crap on the original price of the car.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts