Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Sim only deal....£7.50 Tesco Mobile 12 months

2. Pay monthly contract...phone and exactly same sim deal as above £7.50 Tesco Mobile for 24 months

Can i take the sim from option 2 put it in my old unlocked phone and sell the contract phone ??

Would work out a better deal for me ??

Am i being stupid,illegal,immoral ??

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Maybe or maybe not. The new phone could be sim locked (some are some are not - depends on the operator). You can sell the phone but you are still locked into the contract for the 24 month duration. You would need to make sure the phone is SIM unlocked before doing so. The operator is unlikely to provide the code while the contract is live. Legally they have to after the contract is complete.

There are/were some third parties unlocking phones. Some may work. Some may not. It is technically illegal and things can go wrong. It would be your risk.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe or maybe not. The new phone could be sim locked (some are some are not - depends on the operator). You can sell the phone but you are still locked into the contract for the 24 month duration. You would need to make sure the phone is SIM unlocked before doing so. The operator is unlikely to provide the code while the contract is live. Legally they have to after the contract is complete.

There are/were some third parties unlocking phones. Some may work. Some may not. It is technically illegal and things can go wrong. It would be your risk.
What's the difference between sim locked and network locked?...i have unlocked a phone from Tesco Mobile a few months into a 24 month contract via eBay for £1...surely if i am still paying for the full term ie 24 months at £7.50 it is no harm to Tesco...they are still getting their full whack off me ??

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
If it's the same network, yes you can swap SIM.

There's no such thing as locking a phone
to a specific SIM. (That would make replacing SIMs
very difficult.)

The difference is if you sign up to
a contract, and want out before 24 month
they will carge you the remaining months.

I think.

Also technically the phone us not yours until
after 24 months. So selling it would be like
selling a lease car.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks...in the end went for the easy option...lovely girl in Tesco mobile sold me the £11 sim only option which has 2Gb of data which is the "be all and end all" for my son...but with their Tesco extra app option drops it to £8 per month :yes:

At the same time this app dropped my wife Anne's to £4.50 per month...result

Didn't bother with the phone selling option as i have had it up to the back teeth with mobiles...causes me nothing but stress....phone are for texting and calling.....internet is a curse !!

By the way...the other network i had swapped to was ID...the Carphone Network network....foook me it's coverage was woeful !!! :furious:

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Thanks folks...in the end went for the easy option...lovely girl in Tesco mobile sold me the £11 sim only option which has 2Gb of data which is the "be all and end all" for my son...but with their Tesco extra app option drops it to £8 per month :yes:

At the same time this app dropped my wife Anne's to £4.50 per month...result

Didn't bother with the phone selling option as i have had it up to the back teeth with mobiles...causes me nothing but stress....phone are for texting and calling.....internet is a curse !!

By the way...the other network i had swapped to was ID...the Carphone Network network....foook me it's coverage was woeful !!! :furious:
iD uses the 3 network... I know others who left them for their woeful coverage. With Tesco you get O2 who, in Ireland, are owned by... 3!

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
iD uses the 3 network... I know others who left them for their woeful coverage. With Tesco you get O2 who, in Ireland, are owned by... 3!
Yep...very Irish isn't it....but strangely enough 3 give good coverage in the Republic Of Ireland......N Ireland is a different kettle of fish......that damned Brexit again :biglaugh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts