Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sad decision has come to sell my pride & joy that I've had for 6 years. The market dictates shes worth around £800 (much higher in my eyes). The MOT is due in 6 weeks and it probably needs around £300 worth of work. The stress and hassle of selling the car with inevitable tyre kickers criticising and picking my car apart doesn't appeal at all!

It seems a shame to scrap a car which is generally in perfect working order. It's an 2002 Alfa 147 on 110k miles but top lusso spec being 2.0 manual, 3 door, leather, BOSE, climate control etc.

There is over £100 tax on her- so scrapping and keeping = £250. If I do the MOT (£300) and sell for £800 I would have £500 in pocket.

Any advice?

·
Registered
13,159 Posts
Aye.. if you know what needs doing, it'll help people to know what they're taking on.

But for my money.. you needs to fix it to sell it. New MoT will get the beast up in value a touch.

Ralf S.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Not sure if there is any comparison, but your car is 10 years and a bit old, my 145 was 10 years old when i bought her for £1000. it was up for £1250. The bodywork had 15 shades of red and there was no bose or leather or climate control. It had less mileage than your car, but i would have thought you could achieve £1000. Just curious how much is the annual road tax and how did you find the insurance premiums. Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of the rear brakes is binding a little I think - has been for a couple of weeks- occacional noise at speed and fuel consumption down.

Road tax is fairly high in this day and age at £270/ 12 months - insurance fairly reasonable at around £450

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Scrapping seems extreme - either stick it on Ebay with £500 reserve, or try Gumtree - with some MOT and several months tax it'll sell....

Alternatively take it into your local car auction and ask their advice with regard to likely selling price with a reserve, and whether its best to leave tax on or not.

·
Registered
13,159 Posts
One of the rear brakes is binding a little I think - has been for a couple of weeks- occacional noise at speed and fuel consumption down.

Road tax is fairly high in this day and age at £270/ 12 months - insurance fairly reasonable at around £450
Get that caliper off... free up the sliding pins and wind the piston in and out a bit after cleaning it all up. Roberto is your mother's brother.

It could also be a duff hose .. the inside lining of those rubber hoses can break up over time and partially block the hose (preventing fluid being drawn back). A new hose would fix it.. £15 maybe off fleabay.

Fuel consumption could be a duff thermostat or a dodgy lambada sensor. If your gauge doesn't get to 86C it's the former .. if the idle is lumpy, it's the latter. £50 for quality stat.. and a bit less for a pukka lambo'.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Scrapping should be the last resort, I would go with Ralf´s advices and go from there. you could fix it for less then a 100£.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Get the MOT on it (good advice for fixing above) and sell it with a year's ticket for £1000 or so. With an MOT looming, you will probably end up getting scrap value for it.

I'd fix it and keep it - buying a new set of wheels will cost a lot more than £300....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am feeling much the same myself, not the scrap yard bit, because mine is 2005, but simply selling an ageing Alfa is not easy
There are just so many cheap cars for sale. Every used car lot seems to be heaving with cars
Many people are now looking at the running costs first and foremost, that is tax (£270) and fuel (30mpg ish) for my 147, and they simply move on to something more economical
Combine that with the myth that most people hold about Alfas generally, and it gets worse
I bought my 1.6 TS 5 door Lusso a year ago with 37k miles, for £2500, and have put an additional 4k miles on it.
As a trade in I will be lucky to much more than a grand
It doesnt matter that Autotrader 'think' it is worth 2400,
I put it on for £2195 expecting to sell for £2000 and havent had a sniff

·
Registered
13,159 Posts
Aye... secondhand cars generally are cheap and old secondhand cars are practically worthless. It makes me chuckle a bit when magazines and experts go on about depreciation. Ralf's Guide says: Any car loses half its value every 3 years... and a 15 year old car is worth £500 no matter what it is.

Have a peep at fleabay and see what similar cars actually sell for. If yours is a nice one and you don't live in the middle of nowhere, where nobody wants to go to collect it, it'll sell for slightly more (fleabay is a bit chocka with bargain hunters, free-loaders, scoundrels, tinkers and dreamers)... but you'll get an idea for the actual price other cars like yours sell at.

Ralf S.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts