Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've sold my 147 to a private buyer after a viewing yesterday. The money has transferred into my bank and the car is being picked up this evening.
However, because I transferred a private plate from the 147 to the GT I don't yet have a V5 for the car being sold. The transfer was done at the local DVLA office on 5th August and I have received the replacement MOT and tax disk (within 4 working days - top marks DVLA :D) as well as the entitlement to the original registration plates which have been put on the 147.
The owner to be knows all of this and I have shown him documentation from the DVLA and he is happy to buy the car and sort the details out at a later date.

How is the best way to cover me when he comes to pick the car up this evening?
I was thinking along the lines of two copies of a signed receipt with registration, VIN, details of sale and both parties addresses. I've also got photocopies of both sections of the old V5 which could be filled in if necessary, although they obviously show the wrong registration.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Sounds about all you can do. perhaps ask to write his drivers licence number down too as you would write this on teh v5 anyway.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
In my opinion you don't really have any worries, the only one with worries at back of mind must be purchaser.
He is obviously dealing on trust and you give him/her confidence to do so.:)

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my opinion you don't really have any worries, the only one with worries at back of mind must be purchaser.
He is obviously dealing on trust and you give him/her confidence to do so.:)
Yup - I'm very trustworthy. :)

I was thinking more about any speeding tickets/unpaid parking tickets that may occur in the time between the sale and the new V5 being issued & filled in as normal (that's the current plan).

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
yes but you'd have to send it on to him to sign it

S

·
0 Posts
No problem, I bought one recently without V5, just get signed paper saying day of change of owner. Then when the V5 comes, you sign your bit and send it to the buyer. They sign and off it goes to DVLA.

To be sure you can send a letter to DVLA with the date of transfer and names of seller and buyer.

DVLA often do this.

PS it's fate saying don't use personalised plates, license to print money for DVLA.

·
Premium Member
45,018 Posts
I'll probably just take it to his house to get it signed and hand over the V5c as luckily he's fairly local.
This :thumbs:

My only worry would be posting the V5 to the buyer, for them only to not sign it and not send it to the DVLA.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's actually a section on the direct.gov motoring pages about selling a car without a V5;
If you no longer have your registration certificate V5C
If you don't have a registration certificate you can still tell DVLA that you no longer have the vehicle.
To do this you will need to write to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR giving the:
vehicle registration mark
make and model
exact date of sale
name and address of the new keeper
However, note that DVLA records won’t be complete until the new keeper tells DVLA in writing. Until they do, the police may need to contact you if they have to make enquiries about the vehicle.
How to notify DVLA if you sell your vehicle : Directgov - Motoring
The car has gone now and we both have identical signed receipts and the buyer has the photocopied new keeper section of the old V5 and I have the rest of it.

I'll give DVLA a call tomorrow & ask the best course of action.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
The speeding ticket parking thing is not a problem either. There is a section the summons for you to notify who is the driver if not the registered keeper. Just to state the obvious, make sure the money in the bank is cleared funds before you release the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts