Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am trying to sell my 166 and need some honest feedback on my ad and pricing. I have advertised it on Autotrader, AO, and Pistonheads for a couple of weeks and have had some enquiries but no decent offers. I think the ad has plenty of details, pictures, and the price is reasonable. I know it's a niche car so is it a case of hanging around for the right buyer to come along, or do I need to change my ad/photos/price to attract a buyer ? The AT ad has now expired, so before I put down another £40, I thought I'd also consider Ebay. Is it full of timewasters or is it a genuine option for this type of car ? Thanks for any feedback you can provide. FWIW, I bought a 159 2.2 JTS Ti to replace the 166. It's different from the 166, and I am enjoying it more and more.

Used ALFA ROMEO 166 V6 24V SPORTRONIC LUSSO 2004 for sale - PistonHeads (Ref 1420105)

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Jist oota curiosityFUNKY..Twisnae ewer climate control that tried tay gas ewe. Jist asking as I saw a cat have a near collision the other day and in yer ad ewe say this is yer 2nd 166....IF I was in the market I'd be on the first train oota glesca and bring another one home....BUTT as lightning does strike twice Mrs P wood gas me..And as much as my body is way oota shape I um kinda attached tay it.

I wood keep it BUTT that's jist me Ken.

Pomeo

Was JonC no in the market for a guid sportro?

Perhaps no
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-and-166/49390-166-climate-control-tried-to-gas-me.html?highlight=pomeo+climate+fan

·
Registered
920 Posts
It's a tricky one tbh. The guide price for a 166 is abysmally poor but you do get a lot of car for the money as we all know. There is a silver pre F/L near to me in Bedford on for almost 3K (crazy money) and it has been sitting there since at least Jan.

The lower side of the £2k you may have more chance of a quick sale - but ultimately it's about the right buyer at the right time...

However, I think "non-alfisti" will be worried about the usual as well as the Road Fund Licence, fuel economy etc given present and prevailing economic conditions.

FWIW i think your ad is fine - although I would include a photo of the the scratches on the door. By not including some may think - hold on a minute why's he not showing that?

If at all possible I would try to keep her - I'm sure (or rather hoping) that these big V6's will be worth some money in the years to come! If not - it is a very niche market but ther right buyer will turn up - you might just have to wait a while

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jist oota curiosityFUNKY..Twisnae ewer climate control that tried tay gas ewe. Jist asking as I saw a cat have a near collision the other day and in yer ad ewe say this is yer 2nd 166....IF I was in the market I'd be on the first train oota glesca and bring another one home....BUTT as lightning does strike twice Mrs P wood gas me..And as much as my body is way oota shape I um kinda attached tay it.

I wood keep it BUTT that's jist me Ken.

Pomeo

Was JonC no in the market for a guid sportro?

Perhaps no
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-164-and-166/49390-166-climate-control-tried-to-gas-me.html?highlight=pomeo+climate+fan
That wasn't me Pomeo. This is indeed my second 166, having owned one for about 18 months back in 2003, and this one since 2007. Both have run well, and never caused any real problems outside of the usual maintenance issues. I'd love to keep this one, but I bought a 159 on a whim, and one car has to go. It's a shame as the value to me is far greater than what I will get for it. Someone will pick up a bargain as the belts have been done, and it even has four new tyres. I guess with these cars it is about being patient and a buyer will come along.

S

·
0 Posts
That's a decent ad, the car looks nice, only pic I'd like is a condition of front seats shot.

If I could justify it, I'd buy it, but we are already a two car family.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
198 Posts
Try taking the pics again in a courtyard/gravel driveway/countryhouse setting...I know its a bit sad but you would be surprised how this may influence a potential buyer, and a ten minute clean of the engine bay.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Based on my experience I'd think twice about eBay - I listed a 52 plate 156 2.0 JTS recently. It has MOT to 21.11.2013 and tax to 28.02.2014. I have the V5, both keys and everything works as it should but there is no service history. It's red with 17" alloys and a big rear spoiler and the facelift interior. It went on with a 99 pence start and no reserve.

The auction ended at £362. When the winning bidder arrived a week later he decided it wasn't as nice as he thought it would be and changed his mind about buying it. I was hoping for £500 but it seems people just aren't prepared to pay anything these days. I could weight it in or break it but it seems a shame to scrap a perfectly serviceable car.

166s are hard to value but if you drop the price to say, £1,995, you'll be at risk of people offering £1,200 or so. The issue with re-advertising is that potential buyers might see it advertised 2 or 3 times and assume there's something wrong with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts