Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a cheap wee runabout to keep me going until The Alfa Fund is full!

First: A private sale (he claimed). I turned up at the address given, there was no-one in. I phoned the guys mobile, and he arrived 5 minutes later. Then he insisted on showing me the car round the corner, even thought there was a parking space outside "his" flat. Needless to say, the car was a heap.

Next: Another supposedly private seller, the car semed OK, and we agreed a price. Then I looked at the paperwork; the car was registered to an address 40 miles away, and the previous owner had dated the sale 4 weeks earlier (and the car's been advertised for a fortnight!). When I said I would rather check this out before handing over my hard-earned, he got all defensive and "offended", and didn't want to sell it to me anymore!

Then: A dealer (if I'd seen the state of his premises, and his cars, before phoning I woudn't have bothered. I specifically asked him if either of the two cars I was interested in had any problems, and of course he said no.... the first thing he told me when I got there was "the Civic's got a noise from the gearbox, but it runs fine". The other car, a Punto, had more oil on the outside of the engine than inside.

Yesterday, I went to a small dealer of mainly cheap cars. He gave me all the time I needed and didn't try to influence my opinion, and spoke to me (and my girlfriend, unusually!) like the intelligent & knowledgeable people we are! This attitude has now made him a profit on an old, but good, Nissan Micra (although not quite as much profit as he'd hoped for!)

So if you want to buy a Fiat Seicento or a Citroen ZX in Johnstone, or anything from a Car Centre in Greenock (which shall remain, er, nameless!), beware!
A2B cars in Glasgow are worth a look though! :thumbs:

V

·
0 Posts
Tis a minefield out there. Enjoy yer noddy car :p until the Alfa fund is full.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I draw the line at pink!
It's red, and isn't even faded - looks like it's had a good T-Cut before being sold.

My other half has decided to call it Wendy though...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She just phoned me, she tried to unlock the car earlier, at her work's car park, and couldn't get it open. The she realised it was someone else's wee red Micra!

Wouldn't have happened with the Defender:lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts