Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Sell or Break ...

Tags
sell
1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  156Chris 
#1 ·
Well looks like my car has come up to its second "mid life" crisis, there's a whole load of stuff that needs to be done

1. Both Front Lower Wishbones
2. Drivers side upper wishbone (the passenger side is on it's way out)
3. Drivers side inner and outer CV joints (passenger side is on it's way out)
4. Cambelt due within 6 months

Obviously the most cost effective thing to do would be to fix them and keep the car but I fancy a change

With 180,000 miles on the clock and with these "issues" I probably can't expect to get much more that £850 (maybe not even that)

How much do you think I'd get from stipping it?

GTA Seats (and door cards etc) £350?
8C style alloys (2 perfect, 2 kerbed) all with new(ish) tyres £250?
Injectors £100 each?
Gearbox with Q2 £300?
Remapped ECU £100?

I'm just wondering if it's worth the hassle...

See less See more
#7 ·
seems a shame as it looks tidy. Spares will get you more but will leave you with a lump for a while.

Ill take your alloys if you decide to sell, what size are they?
The pictures look quite good, but if you look even closely at the bodywork it looks quite shabby now

If you sell is it as your discription below your photos
Just might be interested as a project
Looking on autotrader even "immaculate" ones only go for about £1500, so don't know how much I'd get for a project

Fix the issues they are only small.
Cambelt you can then price accordingly.

Makes more financial sense that way.
I do know it makes more financial sense, but I think I just fancy getting a new car, and now would be the best time, if I fix these issues then I'll want to keep it for another few years

+1 H ave to admit if it was mine I would fix it first :thumbs:
I've had 156s for the best part of 10 years ... perhaps time for a chnage

id say fix and if you feel its break worthy, just run it till the cambelt snaps? which it probably wont for ages, the jtd belts tend to go well beyond there interval unlike the twinsparks.

The trouble is the issues above have to be fixed in order to pass the MOT, also I suspect that the clutch must go soon (it's still on the original) ...

#8 ·
Break it. Basically, it's worn out and at the end of it's life.

#9 ·
What a few suspension niggles make the car end of life.

I think the crux of the above is not that they are difficult jobs just that the Op would like a change more than anything. If I was in the market for a 156 I'd snap it up. Unfortuantly it would mean me sellnig my 147 and I just can not be that bothered to do so.

As a project though I'd easily take it on. But I'd probably ruin the 2.4 as I do 90% town driving and a big diesel like that is better suited to motorway slogs.
But the spec on the car is pretty fantastic even if the body work may be shabby.

I'm sure if the op didn't fancy a change those small issues would be fixed and used for another 2 years.
It'll make someone a good cheap fast motor if they are willing for a small amount of work.

#12 ·
Which of the issues have to be fixed to get an MOT? As far as I know, as long as the gaiter is good, the joints can be in truly terrible condition and still get a pass.

If you are doing it yourself, then fix the wishbones (easy job) and while you are at it, the driveshafts are pretty exposed at that point.

You then have a few hundred additional quid in it, but you can carry on driving it for the next few months while you find something else. Though you should note, if the wishbones have failed the MOT, the handling will be absolutely transformed when you fix it - you may decide you like the car again.

If you then want to sell it, you are flogging a car with most of a year's ticket and in need of a cambelt. That is a pretty easy sell. Breaking is hard - unless you live on a farm or similar where you can leave a wheel less car for a few months....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.