Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All year long I go shopping with the wife and am mindful of making sure I getthe veg with the longest date, usually 3 or 4 days from supermarkets, never long enough for the full week.
Imaging my surprise whe I went shopping on the 18th and nearly all the produce had dates of the 26th! ****ing rip-off merchants.

M

·
0 Posts
Normally it's the 24th!!

I don't pay 'too' much attention to SBD's.....although bread normally starts to go manky 'before' it's date!......Tis fine for toasting though :)

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
It's always best to remember why those dates are there. And
it's not just to help you out. They are there to make it more difficult
for you to sue them succesfully. Common sense is still your
best friend :thumbs:

M

·
0 Posts
It's always best to remember why those dates are there. And
it's not just to help you out. They are there to make it more difficult
for you to sue them succesfully. Common sense is still your
best friend :thumbs:
:thumbs:

I used some beef mince that was 5 days gone earlier in the week. It smelt fine when I opened the pack...it wasn't some grim colour........and it tasted lovely in my cottage pie:thumbs:

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
I've always gone by the rule of:

Best before means, best before but is still edible for x no. days after the date on the label (smell, looks etc).

Use by, means exactly that. If its passed the use by date, bin it, or pop it in the freezer the day before.

If that makes sense :confused:

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
Chocolate is edible for a WHOLE YEAR after the use by

So don't believe all you read ;)

(my mum works with chocolate, and she told me)

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
I should qualify my statement further, I'm talking meat, fish, poultry.

I'm sure you'll be fine with your taramasssssssallllaaattttaaa.

Let us know the results.....either way :thumbs:

E

·
0 Posts
I should qualify my statement further, I'm talking meat, fish, poultry.

I'm sure you'll be fine with your taramasssssssallllaaattttaaa.

Let us know the results.....either way :thumbs:
I am with you. Veg and the like, look at it. Is it squishy, no. Then eat the bloody thing :lol:. Peppers seem to be the worse, I have cooked stuff with peppers over a week beyond the best before date and there was nowt wrong with them.

Back in bit, just need to run to the loo.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
But why do they put dates on water that has supposedly been filtering through rocks for thousands of years?

Veg is easy, if it isn't squishy it's OK. Meat and fish - if it hums it's off. Then again game is hung for days/weeks before consumption and the Scandinavians go big on fermented fish - smells and tastes revolting I'm told.

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
I'm very fussy with meat and dairy products. I've just thrown away cream that was out of date by a day.

Fruit/veg is easier to use common sense with as not going to cause harm if overipe (except bagged salads...they should be eaten within the use by date).

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
I'm very fussy with meat and dairy products. I've just thrown away cream that was out of date by a day.

Fruit/veg is easier to use common sense with as not going to cause harm if overipe (except bagged salads...they should be eaten within the use by date).
Prove me wrong but I was always led to believe that ready to use salads have very high quantities of chlorine from the bleaching and sterilising agents that supermarkets use. The damage these oxidizing chemicals do to our bodies far ouweighs any benefits from the natural nutrients. I'm assuming the same is true for bagged veg.

I've never bought such items because of this.

Or is it just an old wives tale :confused:

Besides, there's nothing better than wasting my time peeling and cutting :lol:

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
Prove me wrong but I was always led to believe that ready to use salads have very high quantities of chlorine from the bleaching and sterilising agents that supermarkets use. The damage these oxidizing chemicals do to our bodies far ouweighs any benefits from the natural nutrients. I'm assuming the same is true for bagged veg.

I've never bought such items because of this.

Or is it just an old wives tale :confused:

Besides, there's nothing better than wasting my time peeling and cutting :lol:
I have never bought bagged veg either. I do know there can be bacteria present in bagged salads which gets more harmful nearer the use be date. If I buy this, I always wash it myself also.

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
I have never bought bagged veg either. I do know there can be bacteria present in bagged salads which gets more harmful nearer the use be date. If I buy this, I always wash it myself also.
Is that why we're told 'never eat anything green', or words along those lines, when going too places like Egypt?

Makes sense I suppose.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts