Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read many threads about how guys do EVERYTHING themselves. I've dabled with tools in my school days and my dad and I usually did the services our selves, bar the electronic stuff.

I want to know hwo easy a job would it be to work on the new cars...145, 147, 156, 159 etc etc.

I know how to change oil and a filter...but how about the spark plugs, how about the brake pads...I've seen a thread on here about how to change the pads and it sounds EASY.

I just don't want to pay R1000+ for labour when I could have taken the Friday afternoon and did all this myself, the electrical things and resets etc will be done by a techie.

I'm on the lookout this weekend for a toolbox containing everything...where is a good place to start looking for a good toolbox with a toolset, I know buying tools piece by piece is a good practice and that one buys tools second hand...

what do you guys say?:thumbs:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Sounds to me as if you are on the right lines mate.:): Start by having the tools to do the basics, and then add to them as your knowledge and competence progress?

Special tools such as those which rear calipers require, and of course camshaft locking tools are 'specials' which can be purchased, others can be improvised if you enjoy metalworking and can do a spot of welding and some engineering?:):

·
Registered
20 Posts
good idea,and not just for the money saved,considerable as that is.I have just changed the plugs on my v6 156 and its not hard though the rear bank is really fiddly,oil filter,oil,air filter are all easy to do.the plugs i am sad to say look like the originals and the electrodes were erroded down to the porcelain on the rears. i always change the oil,filters and plugs cos i have been caught out by lazy mechanics before, both main dealer and the local garages.my other alfa had its rear view mirror snapped off and i was charged for work not done only a yr ago,its the way they fix it on they said.things were put right quickly after i did a mr angry in the reception. By all means go for it and save some cash,you never know you might get to enjoy it.

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
While under warranty and or maintenance plan, stick to the agents.... for your own piece of mind, double check the work and insist on seeing the old parts....... BUT, once warranties are gone, I always do my own services. Yousave a considerable amount and I actually find it good stress-relief. Its not that fixing cars is relaxing, but it does make you think of other things than money, work, kids, wife, etc. etc. ...

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So let me get this right...

My 20 000km service is ONLY oil and Filter?

Why don't or can't I do this myself then? Is there any other things like he said something about a ecu reset or something???

I could save R800

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Servicing your car yourself is a great Idea,even if u need a reset ecu,just ask Alfa and Omega to just do the reset,probably about R200 so u save R600:cheese:

If u wanna start a toolset,start with a Gedore toolset,there is one with absolutelly everything in it at builders warehouse for R3k,before u freak out,I must first state that I bought one as my first tool set ,and am almost finished building a racecar,and have not purchased any other tools,so this will serve u VERY well no matter what the job is.

PS front pads on a 147 was a 30 minute job,and it was the first time changing the pads for me,same procedure as changing a city golfs pads:)

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL I am taking the car to Ray in Springs....he's R300 cheaper than Chris...will talk to Chris to hear if it needs an ECU reset...ehm...why would it need a reset?

·
Registered
459 Posts
If your car is still under warranty then you need to take the car to the agents, otherwise your warranty will be null and void:cry: You may save yourself some bucks in the mean time, however it is just not worth it in the long run. If any thing does happen during the warranty period , at least you will have a full service history to back up your claim:) Then you have something to fight THEM with:rolleyes: .If the car is not srill in warranty then service it yourself as far as you feel comfortable. The electronic stuff is mind boggling unless you got the programme, however apart from all the fancy electronics the basic principles are the same as a toyota or golf:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts