Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Xenons seem to cast a really low beam. When I power the car up both headlights dip then rise, so I reckon the sensors and motors are okay.

Is it just a simple matter of re-aligning the beam, and will this over-ride what ever beam height is currently set?

Has any one had any experience of this, and how easy are the beams to adjust?

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
Even though they are self-levelling, you still need to adjust them to the correct level.

There is also a calibration of the system that FiatECUScan/MultiECUScan and obviously the Examiner can do.

·
Banned
447 Posts
They need to be adjusted anyway, the mechanical way, no examiner will be able to set them straight because the bowls are held by the very long adjusting screws which only turn manually.
So try adjusting them.
If that does not fix your problem, check the suspension sensors, if one of them is broken, the level will be set to lowest. What you see as the projectors moving when the car is started happens no matter if the sensors are damaged.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Sounds familiar, the link arm to my front nearside sensor comes apart on a regular basis and is now held together by a couple of cable ties; I keep spares on board just in case! I think the link was modified on later cars; Alfa wanted £25 for the link last time I asked, hence the cable ties.

If the links are OK it's easy enough to adjust the beam manually you need a small socket and extension, something like 8mm or so. I can take a look if you want. Just make sure it is correctly aligned; it's probably easier to get a local MoT test station to set the lights at least you know it will (should) pass the test.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Even though they are self-levelling, you still need to adjust them to the correct level.

There is also a calibration of the system that FiatECUScan/MultiECUScan and obviously the Examiner can do.
David C, I have the full version of MultiECUScan, any idea what cable I need to do the adjustment?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If that does not fix your problem, check the suspension sensors, if one of them is broken, the level will be set to lowest.
How do I best check these, where will I find them?

Sorry, I'm a bit simple when it comes to technical stuff :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts