Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive read a couple of threads regarding the self levelling suspension on the 'wagons. none of which were conclusive unfortunately..if my 01 has these struts can i replace them in just the same way as standard struts?
ta:)

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Do you just want to fit new self-levelling struts or do you want to remove the self-levelling and fit std struts?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would like to replace with koni's

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Nothing definative but I believe it's just the BOGE struts that are different and nothing else. They work really well on our SW :cool:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so the Boge struts are self levelers?
im tempted to just change the fronts to eliminate the submarining

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I think so. When you first load it up. it sinks down like normal suspension. Once on the move (after about 200 meters) it pops back up :D When you stop, it's dead level. :cool:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im not particularly bothered about retaining the self levelling struts. if they are the only parts which 'self level' i think ill ditch them.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I've never seen the self-levellers close up, but the pic on ePER makes me think that they are a complete unit. So you may need to get hold of several std parts to be able to fit the normal type struts.

There is obviously no way you could fit the Koni replacement inserts.
Some of the Koni rears are shipping as struts instead of just inserts now though.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers David..
surely someone has been down this road before??

·
Registered
322 Posts
Was part of the question "do i have them"???

If you have Nivomats you should see a wire going to the strut (according to autodelta?). You can replace them with a new strut and spring. spring kits for Nivomats are a lot cheaper.

I just fitted a set if Weitec springs (couldn't get eibach's) to mine. really impressed they are 30mm lower and i haven't grounded the car since fitting them. There is alot less role and understear. They have a very progressive rate and arn't to harsh.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I dont think there is any wiring with ZF/ Sachs/ Boge (now Mannesman!)Nivomat dampers, its a passive system.

The level control with the Nivomat is carried out at the rear axle and can only be performed while driving because the internal pump is operated by the relative movements between the body and the axle caused by road irregularities. However, the Nivomat does not drop immediately as soon as the vehicle stops but, due to its internal tightness, it can maintain the level reached for a longer period.
The Nivomat pump is operated by the piston rod. When the piston rod is moved out (pull), the pump chamber is expanded. Oil is sucked from the low-pressure reservoir into the pump chamber through the suction tube, the hollow pump rod and the open inlet valve. When the piston rod is moved in (push), the pump chamber is made smaller, the inlet valve closes and the outlet valve opens. Oil is pressed into the working chamber between the exterior side of the control sleeve and the interior side of the piston rod. At the same time, oil is displaced into the high-pressure accumulator through the open side of the cylinder tube. The highpressure gas cushion is increasingly compressed during pumping.

When approaching the intended vehicle level, a spiral groove, located on the pump rod and until then covered by the control sleeve, is opened. The opened groove forms a bypass between the pump chamber and the high-pressure accumulator. Thus, no more oil is sucked out of the low-pressure reservoir; oil is only moved between the pump chamber and the working chamber. When the vehicle is being unloaded while stationary, the piston rod first moves out further since the balance between the Nivomat extension force and the load on the Nivomat is disturbed. This further extension of the piston rod causes a relief bore on the pump rod to be opened. At the level position, this relief bore is
covered by the control sleeve. It allows an oil flow from the high-pressure accumulator into the low-pressure reservoir, which results in a corresponding pressure reduction.
When driving on bumpy roads the Nivomat is excited more than normal. In this case, the Nivomat adjusts to a higher level (15 - 20 mm). This results in the vehicle reaching a greater ground clearance, depending on the ratio of movement between the Nivomat and the wheel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts