Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am a new Alfa 159 owner (my first ever Alfa) and I am feeling very self conscious as I keep getting stared at in my new car! This never happened in my Audi.

I bought the car through Smart Alfa, before I read all of the bad press about them in this forum. I have to say that although sometimes the telephone correspondence became a little heated, I have now got my car at a healthy discount and I'm as pleased as can be!

Just one thing, the car (which has completed 250 miles) smells quite strongly of hot oil when it's been running for an hour or so. A friend of mine said that this was due to the engine/exhaust being coated in a protective film of oil and that the smell will go. Is this correct?

Dave

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Hi Dave,

It could be correct about the oil smell, but it could also have a leak, have yiu noticed any drop of oil underneath the car?

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
There is no protective film of oil on the exhaust.....Like Gary I suggest you have a look underneath, or preferably take it to a dealer for checks. Hot oils smells are invariably gearbox related.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There doesn't seem to be any oil under the car, no smoke either.

Gearbox trouble on a brand new car? Is this my intro to Alfa ownership?!

Dave

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Welcome to AO and Alfa ownership :)

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
DavidP said:
There doesn't seem to be any oil under the car, no smoke either.

Gearbox trouble on a brand new car? Is this my intro to Alfa ownership?!

Dave
Could be! :D

Might be your first opportunity to use the :rant: & :cry: smilies! They inevitably become appropriate to us all at somepoint in our Alfa lives.

Welcome to AO and good luck with the oil smell. Hopefully it isn't a problem at all.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Hello and welcome !! :)

Sorry to hear about your problems though !! :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts