Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2001 156 selespeed that has a problem in that the fault light and buzzer are on, the diagnostics come up with pump relay stuck.This fault can be cleared but comes back as soon as the pump activates. So far i have changed the accumulator, the relay and have checked the wire from the relay to the ecu (continuity ok), i have also tried linking the relay earth direct to the battery negative with no improvement. The car drives well and selects all gears as it should (inc city mode) but occasionaly it will not go into first correctly (sounds as if it is in between gears, not fully in), when this happens the pump is working overtime and it will not select any other gear, the pump continues to run after the ignition is turned off and the key removed, it will only stop if the mail 20a fuse near the battery is removed. replace the fuse, turn the ignition back on and hey presto, all seems to go back to normal (fault light still flashes though. Does anyone have any idea what the cause may be? any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
all the relay does is provide power to the pump, if the drivers door has been opened, then it gets some current and the relay powers up the pump, it will only go off when the ignition is cut.

The pump only runs when it is told to by the ECU. This is determined by a pressure sensor, so if your pump isconstantly running, I would suspect the accumulator (why helps maintain the pressure) and the spherical shaped object on the acctuator, or the pressure switch.

The accuator is not available from Alfa but is from Fiat, the pressue switch, bag one off ebay, plenty of seles being broken.

I may be talking crap of course, a diagnostic will help pinpoint the problem or Alfa Diag and a cable from Rarebear, but that is where I would look if it were me.

I guess you have access to some diagnostic as you mention the fault 'being cleared'.

HTH

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that purple, i will give the pressure switch a go, i have already changed the accumulator. I will let you know how i get on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes,the problem is now sorted, it was the accumulator, i had fitted a secondhand one but that was faulty as was my old one. Fitted another an hey presto....problem solved !

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well done!!!! when you can repair a selespeed fault yourself it helps to dispels some of the myths' waged by non selespeed owners. they are great cars to drive when working. If its goodenough for a Alfa I suppose it can also be said to be suitable for use in a Ferrari

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
very true, i had the help of smaky in the end, i had been thrown by fitting a accumulator that was faulty, simple really but thats second hand parts for you! i agree, the selespeed is a great car to drive, both hands on the wheel whilst powering through the bends blipping through the gears, still not as much fun as a motorcycle though but for a car ...it dont get much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts