Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, after many months of loosing gears (poping into Neutral), and many fixes:

No. 1 : Replaced pump to accuator inlet pipe (after leak)
No. 2 : Replaced relay
No. 3 : Replaced Battery
No. 4 : Got diag - low pressure fault logged P 1772 Had pump checked - ok
No. 5 : Replaced accumulator (at indy garage GM Garage in East Kilbride - Highly recommended)

No other fault codes; fluid leavels ok; clutch pin at required distances etc - however I do notice that the hydraulic pressure has to re-prime after every 3 gear changes - I do not remember it being this frequent when I got it. It is falling from around 53 bar when pressurised, falling to 42 bar after 2/3 gear changes, then the pump kicks in, this has to be too frequent?

So still intermitently poping into neutral and on some occassions won't even start.....
I have not been letting my wife drive the car over 5 miles, in fear of her & kids being stranded.

I am hoping someone (the ever reliable Smaky etc) can offer me some hope and point me in the right direction. I am very close to giving up and trading the baby in - as I am now (after nearly a year) at wits end.

Any answer that fixes this saga will get a goody bag from me as a token of my appreciation.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
it sound like either the clutch or low/mid/high range sensor is defective

they ar enot too expensive.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
I am thinking internal gearbox trouble, drain the gearbox oil, check the mag plug and reill it with 75w-90 gear oil.

Or

Try checking the actuator filter and do a EOL Calibration.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I think the pump in Mike's runs after about 3 gear changes. Certainly with the relay unplugged it won't change from 1st through to 5th (it gives up at 4th).

Has the low pressure fault code come back, or gone completely?

If you've not got AlfaDiag yourself, you're welcome to come and visit. I'm learning a little from checking up on Mike's. I've also picked up a 'spare' actuator and pump, should they be required. Not got a sele gearbox though (just a manual).

Cheers,

Iain

PS I've got a set of sump plug keys as well. The drain plug is too tight to get a hex socket on.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I will try the oil change if the accuator filter is not the cause. Appreciate the steer Smaky, any 75w-90 gear box oil do?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts