Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from the wheel thread i'm tempted to put the 156 selespeed wheels on the gtv, I know this has been done with 5mm spacers.

I keep seeing 17 selespeeds for sale I thought they only made 16s?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
16" came as standard with all Selespeed's and 17" was available from the accessories catalog.

Selespeed's do look good on the GTV

·
Banned
2,933 Posts
Spider

Following on from the wheel thread i'm tempted to put the 156 selespeed wheels on the gtv, I know this has been done with 5mm spacers.

I keep seeing 17 selespeeds for sale I thought they only made 16s?
16" came as standard with all Selespeed's and 17" was available from the accessories catalog.

Selespeed's do look good on the GTV
I've got a Spider TS with 17s but I think you'll need spacers for a V6.

Clive

Attachments

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
The offset is 10mm not 5mm but you need at least 12mm to get a hubcentric spacer which really is a must.

I was going to put them on my GTV but I didn't really like them and didn't want the added expense of the spacers

·
Registered
10,609 Posts
wayne-dear has them on his TS, I think without spacers but I'm sure he'll be along soon to correct me :)
No, your spot on mate:)
OP. I have 17" seles on my GTV (twinny) they bolt straight on, you do though need to shorten the front wheel bolts. I dont have spacers and this narrows the track:)

·
Registered
890 Posts
I got these on my gtv in 17" I feel they do need the spacers at the rear but the do look good

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They do look really good, I think i prefer them on the gtv to the 156.

Re the spacers just following earlier threads, note: the 5mm hubcentric spacers on ebay arnt if you read the text carefully!

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The smallest hubcentric spacer is 10mm from Eibach but realistically the 'hubcebtric' part is quite thin and could break if significant force was put on it. 12mm is most sensible minimum thickness.

I think you could put a normal flat 3-4mm spacer (Alfa have one for the GTV) without any problem but cant really see the point as its quite thin and visually you wouldnt notice it and you'd still need longer bolts.

Since the Selespeed wheels have 40mm offset (17" are 40.5, 16" are 41.5) fitting a 12mm spacer would bring them out to very close to the GTV 17" wheels which are 30.5mm - but then you need to add the cost of the spacers and the longer bolts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've just fitted some of these to my Spider. Three of them seem fine, but one seems as though it's catching on something (but only at one point in each revolution)

Did these wheels come with different offsets and I've got a rogue one, or could it be something else?

I noted something above about using shorter bolts on the front. This is where I have the problem - could it be that as I'm just using the standard bolts? If so, why is it only affecting one side?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but you'll notice I'm a noob :confused:

·
Registered
30,241 Posts
156/147 wheels (and these are 156/147 wheels) use 23mm long bolts. Much shorter than normal GTV/Spider bolts.
That probably is why they are catching.
But they are also the wrong offset for a GTV/Spider.
They will be around ET40 and the GTV/Spider user around ET30.

·
Registered
68 Posts
OK, so I need to get some shorter bolts, but how come others have fitted them without spacers and they are OK?

And another noob question - what size spacers are recommended, and where from?

I'n not quite yet regretting getting these wheels and having them refurbed, but I do get easily p*ssed off :rant:

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Are they fitted with spacers? Selespeed wheels will probably be 35mm or 40mm offset. The GTV/Spider is supposed to be 30.5mm. So a 35mm or 40mm offset wheel will sit further in than a GTV wheel.

If you don't have spacers, check if either of the rear wheels have a balance weight on the inner edge of the wheel. If so have a look to see if there's any evidence of the balance weight catching.

If so, it could be an early sign of the inner springarm bush failing. There may be evidence of catching on the leading edge of the springarm and/or the handbrake cable near the metal clip holding it to the springarm.

What could be happening is that the springarm inner bush is moving towards the front of the car when it is loaded decreasing the distance between the arm and the wheel rim. A balance weight will always hit first because it increases the width of the rim. That's why it only happens once per revolution.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's the nearside front that is catching. It does have weights on the inside, but there's no obvious signs of it catching. I'll have another look.

Would you recommend 5mm spacers then? If so, will I still need shorter bolts? doesn't make sense that I would, but I know nowt about these things.

Seems I'll be putting the old ones back on for now, until you guys can help me with the definitive info I need. Don't want to kill myself so early into ownership, after all!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
It's the nearside front that is catching. It does have weights on the inside, but there's no obvious signs of it catching. I'll have another look.

Would you recommend 5mm spacers then? If so, will I still need shorter bolts? doesn't make sense that I would, but I know nowt about these things.

Seems I'll be putting the old ones back on for now, until you guys can help me with the definitive info I need. Don't want to kill myself so early into ownership, after all!
If it's the front, its a totally different situation. No springarms there.

GTV bolts are approx 34mm long. With thin spacers you may get away with them. You could try getting the proper Alfa spacers. They're about £15 per corner and have the correct hub bore so no worries about centering. I've got the part number somewhere, I'll look it up.

However, it's still worth finding out what the interference is before spending money. Take out one wheel bolt at a time and examine them for damage first if there's no other evidence.

Edit : The Alfa spacers are part number 60579027. They're around 4-5mm width. If the Selespeed wheels are 6.5J 16" and 40mm ET, then technically they're too thin I think. Otherwise you're probably looking at 12 or 15mm hubcentric spacers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks - the wheels are 17", which is why I'm a bit confused as to why one is catching.

I guess this might have been easier if I'd just asked - "What do I need to do to get 17" Selespeed wheels to fit properly on my Spider?"

There, does that make it any more simple :D

EDIT: Just re-read an earlier post. I'm wondering id it's the longer bolt going through the hub and hitting something, as it gets worse the more I tighten the wheel. Could that be it? I'll check the bolt-ends when it's light again...

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Yes it could be and taking them out could also damage the treads in the hub.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Got everything off OK and couldn't see any damage on the bolts. Original 16" wheels are back on and everything is fine.

I'll get myself some shorter bolts and give that a go. Don't really want them sticking out any firther than they do already, so I'll give them a go without spacers. Wayne-dear seems to be having no issues with this set-up, so I can't see why I would.

I guess I'll need to get new locking bolts too :(. Maybe I won't bother - does anyone stick nick wheels these days?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts