Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should the selespeed system need to be regularly topped up? Mine seems to.

I cant see, or smell, a leak in the system. Any clues?

The car had a hissy fit today where the selespeed light on the dash would flash for about 30secs then go. In that time the car would be stuck in gear, which is a pain when you are doing 40mph in second lol. It did it 3 times in a 10 mile trip but if I turned the ignition off it would correct itself.

Jason

Wheres my VAG-COM cable? Dam Xmas post lol

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
It shouldn't use any fluid at all.

Is it loosing it via the breather hose?
How low is the fluid when you top it up?
Have you removed the gearbox Fill Plug to see if fluid has found its way into there?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havent checked anywhere as of yet, its ****ing it down here :(

Last time I over filled it cos I assumed it would be like the power steering fluid and it came out through the breather on top of the bottle, it smelled. Im not getting any smell or indication on the wet floor that its leaking.

Its very low. The oil disappears when the pump is activated.

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
Its very low. The oil disappears when the pump is activated.
Ok.
The ideal level is a few mm above the baffle-plate in the tank straight after the pump has stopped (you can't see the bottom of the tank, only the baffle-plate half way up).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have noticed now, where I park, that there is a patch of oil on the floor. There must be a split in a pipe somewhere. I had the car over a pit the other day and could not see a thing regarding the gearbox. Can I gain access via the wheel arch?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts