Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Selespeed stuck in neutral/ceased gearbox

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Wilmslow 
#1 ·
My 156 got stuck in neutral when selecting reverse so I called out a recovery firm who could not fix it so I had to get it towed home , they told me to leave the engine running whilst being towed which I did . A local firm then picked it up from my house to take it to the main dealers but struggled to winch it up onto the tow truck saying the box had ceased . Was I given duff advice when I towed it home or could the recovery company have created the fault when originally trying to winch it onto their truck ? This is obviously going to cost me a lot of money so I am trying to point the liablity at the recovery company as the car was suffering from a gear selection problem not a ceased gear box in the first instance.......................Help :(

#2 ·
Are you saying that although neutral was selected the car will not roll freely?

As for when you got a tow, yes you were correct to get towed with the engine running. That is to give you power steering and servo brakes, without those it would be a very difficult trip!

#3 ·
David C said:
Are you saying that although neutral was selected the car will not roll freely?

As for when you got a tow, yes you were correct to get towed with the engine running. That is to give you power steering and servo brakes, without those it would be a very difficult trip!
Yes , the Alfa main dealer said that although 'N' is displayed the car is not in neutral although it was when I towed it home .They are now dismantling the gearbox.

#4 ·
Puckle31 said:
My 156 got stuck in neutral when selecting reverse so I called out a recovery firm who could not fix it so I had to get it towed home , they told me to leave the engine running whilst being towed which I did . A local firm then picked it up from my house to take it to the main dealers but struggled to winch it up onto the tow truck saying the box had ceased . Was I given duff advice when I towed it home or could the recovery company have created the fault when originally trying to winch it onto their truck ? This is obviously going to cost me a lot of money so I am trying to point the liablity at the recovery company as the car was suffering from a gear selection problem not a ceased gear box in the first instance.......................Help :(
Get a report from the garage confirming that, then write (recorded delivery) to the breakdown firm with the difference in labour from what the problem would have been to their actions of towing you with the engine on when not in neutral. Demand a response within 7 working days and be prepared for small claims court if they don't play ball, and contacting local trading standards. Should be entertaining, but also hopefully effective. You may want to politely ask them first, but I bet I know what the response will be....... Come to that, try to get in in writing from them that they asked you to leave the engine on if you don't have that already. Good luck......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.