Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As winters creeping closer down here I have noticed that when my 147 Sele has been standing for a couple of days without driving it the first time I reverse out of the garage it feels very jerky almost like the clutch is slipping or if someone would not operate a clutch properly on a manual . Back into first and there is no problem and it drives great. Same if I drive it on a daily basis, this only occurs if the car has been standing a couple of days. Is there any reason for this ? Oil draining away from somewhere ?

Apreciate any info !

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I would say that is 100% your maf. Had the same problem with my old selle. Turned out to be the start of the maf giving up. Just gets worse mate. Either clean it with electeral contact cleaner and hope it works or buy a new one. About 100 quid. :)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
mine does it ,been doing it for the last 2 years,i just live with it,it only does it for the first 30 seconds when i reverse it off the drive

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Like Fredzeedex ours did it mainly in the colder months for the four years of ownership. It was fine if it was left to idle for a few minutes though. DavidC recommended a re-calibration, but we didn't get that done as it was easy enough just to let it idle whilst cleaning the windscreen.:):

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Check your bloody mafs. Just unplug it. The sellespeed will snatch at the gears when changing but dont worry about that. If it cures the jumping then you know its the maf. Its a 30 second job. Dont talk about it. Just do it. :)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Ours went to a new home unfortunately last August, but I did mention the peculiarity to the new owner. Missus has now chosen an 'El Cheapo' torque converter fully auto motor, which suits me just fine, as I am often just a passenger now. Just sit back and let the woman take the main strain:):

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Check your bloody mafs. Just unplug it. The sellespeed will snatch at the gears when changing but dont worry about that. If it cures the jumping then you know its the maf. Its a 30 second job. Dont talk about it. Just do it. :)
i don't know how to:tut:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
i don't know how to:tut:

On the rubber tube that comes from your air filter box to the side of the engine (its about 4 inches in diameter), about half way along you will see something protruding with some cables coming out of it. that is your maf. the cables plug in to it. unplug the cables.
it will throw the engine managment light on. dont worry about it.
take the car for a spin and see if it it makes any difference.
the gear change will feel snatchy. again dont worry about this. its just something the sellespeed does when it cant take a propper reading from the maf.

The engine management light will go out a short while after the maf has been re conected.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Fun starts @ 3000! go to the tips section and look at the guide to cleaning the maf.

if you look at picture number 2 and 5 that is what the maff will look like.
ignore the rest of the pictures as this isn a v6 engine and the pipework is totally different to yours.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
On the rubber tube that comes from your air filter box to the side of the engine (its about 4 inches in diameter), about half way along you will see something protruding with some cables coming out of it. that is your maf. the cables plug in to it. unplug the cables.
it will throw the engine managment light on. dont worry about it.
take the car for a spin and see if it it makes any difference.
the gear change will feel snatchy. again dont worry about this. its just something the sellespeed does when it cant take a propper reading from the maf.

The engine management light will go out a short while after the maf has been re conected.
so what benefit does it have by just taking it out and back in again?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
so what benefit does it have by just taking it out and back in again?
if the mak is fooked when you unplug it your car will feel like a new car as it is not getting any false readings. as soon as you plug the old one back in again it will be back to jumping around.
Basically if your car gos a hell of a lot better when the maf is disconected you know your maf is shot. (get a new one).
if it runs the same then your problem is elsewhere.
now go outside unplug it. go for a drive then come back and tell me how the car feels.
:)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
ok so i took it off and put it back on again like you said, now i get Motor Control System Failure, and the glow warning light on the dash comes on :unsure:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
take it off and drive it with it off to see if there is a difference.
Thats the whole point.:lol:
it will do nothing unplugging it then just plugging it straight back in.
it needs to be disconected when you drive it. then you will feel a difference. if there is no difference then you know it is not a faulty maf.
and that engine managment light will go out after a little while once it is reconected.:)

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
It's normally a combination of a recalibration required, reseting of the clutch release rod and a worn/collapsed release bearing, the bet way to cure it is to have the clutch replaced which takes me 5 hous on an average day.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
It's normally a combination of a recalibration required, reseting of the clutch release rod and a worn/collapsed release bearing, the bet way to cure it is to have the clutch replaced which takes me 5 hous on an average day.
AMEN !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts