Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a question for the diehard sele fan with experience!! Ive a sele which will work when on the move perfectly but if in neutral will just clunck when attempting first gear selection. The actuator has been changed with one that was working fine.Then the accumulator. Then the sele ecu still the same. Fiatecuscan diag shows no faults, the clutch pushrod length is correct and diag suggests the hydraulic pressure reads around 45-54.
The car goes up and down the gears ok in mar and often sets off fine but after a few minutes stops selecting any gear when you stop. Very low mileage 156 so i dont think its the clutch or box. This only leaves the pump or actuator again any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
This is a question for the diehard sele fan with experience!! Ive a sele which will work when on the move perfectly but if in neutral will just clunck when attempting first gear selection. The actuator has been changed with one that was working fine.Then the accumulator. Then the sele ecu still the same. Fiatecuscan diag shows no faults, the clutch pushrod length is correct and diag suggests the hydraulic pressure reads around 45-54.
The car goes up and down the gears ok in mar and often sets off fine but after a few minutes stops selecting any gear when you stop. Very low mileage 156 so i dont think its the clutch or box. This only leaves the pump or actuator again any suggestions?
seems like pressure is tailing off can you connect alfadiag and get pressure up on graph and drive ? it maybe your pump

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
and your grammer :cheese: see edit :lol:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Gearbox seymour, been there did it done it.

Took me days and hours and a few hundred quid and a hole load of tales and stories, changed the box it was sorted.

If you hav'nt got one I have :)

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I have to support Antman on this, after 9 years of Selespeed driving (and a brother who is a mechanic at an Alfa dealership helps too !) I learned my lesson, if all surrounding equipment is renewed and still niggles, the box is the culprit.
Selespeed is very harsh on the gearbox, it shifts gears with a vengeance (55 bar pressure can even load and fire a 15 inch canon). In the begining of selespeeds sold to the innocent customers, a part inside the box broke
because it was of the same strength and thickness of the normal man operated gearbox, this caused massive grief and a lot of warranty repairs and gave the Sele a bad reputation)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car is 2002 with a genuine 40k so im thinking its not the box.The pressure may be tailing off im changing the pump next.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What i cannot get my head around is that for the first 5 minutes of use its perfect, if it were a mechanical issue this would be "unlikely".

L

·
0 Posts
check the box for oil & consider replacing it for new oil. Perform EOL calinbration when the box is hot, not cold,

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Lacken156, Being as eol is done without the engine running im open to suggestions as why it helps that the gearbox is hot.

L

·
0 Posts
oil will be less viscous, therefore the claibration is more accurate. Have you changed the gear box fluid?

L

·
0 Posts
imho, 45 to 55 bar is normal, no need to replace the pump. you could try cleaning the mesh filter that on the hIGH pressure side. you need to de-pressurise the system with Alfadiag or FES, opem the 13mm nut & then the 22mm nut that hold the filter in place. Watch out for spring inside.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts