Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all its been a long time since i posted but need some advice my 156 sele is giving me trouble.i left the interior light on overnight and next day i had a dead battery so i took it out and charged it for a couple of hours and when i put it back in and started it up the engine sounded much quitier wher before it sounded like it was running higher revs but the rev counter still registered same revs.then i started havin problems with the gearbox(surprise surprise i hear you say)it keeps dropping into neutral all the time mostly when i'm stopped but occasionally at slow speeds when taking a corner or entering a roundabout and its driving me nuts . i know its not the battery as i've checked the voltage engine not running about 12v engine running about 14v so any ideas thanks lads and lassies

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
and it still is the battery !! how old is it ? its not only a matter of volts but also (and mainly) amps..

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
12v = a flat battery!

You didn't charge it long enough.
It would have taken a whole day to charge from completely flat.

When charging, monitor the terminal voltage every hour, it will be fully charged when the voltage hasn't increased for an hour (by which time it will be well over 12v.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the car is a 00 not sure how long battery has been in the car would the altenator not have fully charged the battery at this stage.one other thing i noticed is the head lights flicker slightly with the engine running and all other electrics work fine and there are no warning lights on the display. i'll take battery out tonight and give it a longer charge to see if it makes a difference thanks for replies any more info much appreciated

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Re: Selespeed query

Batteries last about 4-years.
If the battery is flat (and a reading of 12.2V = flat) it is far better to remove it and fully charge out of the car, especially as you are seeing problems which could be due to low battery voltage.

To charge it you want about an 8A-10A charge rate (ie NOT a tiny trickle charge). I think the terminal voltage was up over 15V at the end of charging.
After it has settled overnight you want to see over 12.6V

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks davidc should i get a reading of 12.6v on the battery before it goes back in car

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
As long as it has dropped to no more than 14V it should be safe to put back in.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi lads sorry its been a while since posted a reply but just got a new battery for my sele and put it in yesterday but it made no difference to my problem it still keeps jumping in to neutral but now theres a grinding coming from the engine and the gear lever feels quite stiff and its low on power i'm kinda strapped for cash right now and can't really afford to drop it into a garage as they charge by the hour and god knows how long it might take to diagnose the problem i was hoping someone out there might have the diagnostic equipment close to me i'm in laois i'm driving my nephews car at the moment but he''ll be looking for it back fairly soon any ideas lads pleeeeease

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
grinding from the engine & low power obviously isn't good...!
Can't see how your gear lever could be "stiff" though, it is only an electrical switch, it isn't attached to anything mechanically.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
re gear lever ; hadn't driven car in a few weeks so might just be stiff from not being used and the grinding noise seems to be coming from right hand side of engine bay just below the engine i think i'm at my wits end i really miss driving it

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i also forgot to mention the selespeed warning light came on just as i came back to the house after short test drive just a thought but would the oil level in the actual gear box itself cause these problems and how can i check the level and top it up

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Gear oil level is checked with the fill plug on the side of the gearbox, next to the reversing light switch. Exactly like the normal manual gearbox.
That wouldn't cause the Selespeed warning though.

The noise is worrying though and sounds like an engine problem because the gearbox is on the left, not the right.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Some battery info for you. Lead acid batteries lose 50% of their capacity if they are discharged below 50% of there voltage . So if the terminal voltage dropped below 6V then you can expect the ampere hours to drop considerably.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the battery in the car now is brand new only went in yesterday didn't have volt meter last night so couldn't check voltage will check it tonight and post tomorrow

1 - 15 of 15 Posts