Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, going to attempt to change the brushes on my 156 selespeed pump. Have purchased some brushes off eBay and have located pump. Got a rough idea what to do by reading some threads and some help from rare bear. But would like as much help as possible as I will be doing this on Friday and have a 200 mile trip to go on sat!!!! One other info u would like is that when I removed the inner wheel arch the other day I noticed 2 multi plugs just hanging there, any ideas what they could before?. Anyway wish me luck and if you can help I would appreciate it.

G

·
0 Posts
Where were they in the arch or by the box .?
Could be brake related ( abs or pad warning )
Could be G/box there must be a matching end somewhere have a good look above and check the cables in that area are connected to a cable not just a cable holder/support :thumbs:
They are quite good as nearly all the cables will only fit the right one either the connector or colour coded :thumbs:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was in the arch right at the top and covered in dry mud. Cannot see any male plugs to connect them to. Was thinking they may be there factory upgrades on something. Will have another look on Friday when I try and remove the pump.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
If at the back of the arch, could be from the alarm/central locking box....is that still there?

Changing the pump should be easy enough if you have the arch liner and the top cover off...in fact you can probably do it from on top - pump is only held to the bracket by 2 x 10mm (IIRC) bolts, and of course the pipe connectors and the electrical connector.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If at the back of the arch, could be from the alarm/central locking box....is that still there

It is at the back, but my central locking works fine, not sure about the alarm its never gone off. If I get a better look on Friday I will post my findings on here. Cheers for the input on the pump removal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bit of a dilemma since removing the inner wheel arch cover nearly 2 weeks ago the selespeed pump stopped working onbthe first day. This time I could actually hit the pump itself instesd of the reservoir cover. Since that day the pump has worked without a hiccup. If I leave it for 10. 15. 30. 60 or 120 mins it kicks in each time. This has never happend from yhe first day I bought it over a year ago. So what to do. Do I strip the pump down and replace brushes as planned or leave it and see what happens.:confused:

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Put the inner arch cover back on, remove the reservoir cover so that you can still access the pump to "tap" it if necessary, and try it......but I bet you'll need to sort the bushes sooner or later. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts