Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking at a 2.0TS 147 at the moment. Selespeed errors include P1769 0 pump relay stuck.

It sounds like it's right as well, as the pump's running constantly.

Can anyone tell me where to find it? I tried pulling the relays in front of the battery, but the pump still ran...

Cheers,

Iain

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
its tucked under the air intake hose, between the thermo housing and battery. The one for the fan is the same so swapping them may be useful, and a bit easier to get at if it need to come out.

HTH

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
if it stay running, with all the relays removed, then possibly there is a short at the base of the relay or in the wiring loom

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
well if the battery was removed or disconnected on one terminal, then th epump would stop :cheese:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Right... I'm beginning to think that a lot of this could be battery-related.

After the newly-charged battery was reconnected :)rolleyes:) it behaved perfectly.

When it came back from a test-flight, the pump was running continuously. Well, by 'continuously' I mean on/off/on/off roughly 2 times a second. Swapping the relay didn't cure it (but taking the relay out stops it), or the error code, but you can hear the relay being clicking off and AlfaDiag showed that the pump activations count was going up - so I presume something it telling it to do this.

After a little bit more testing, the selespeed system started behaving even more erratically - jumping back to neutral then going completely haywire (sounded like it was selecting gears randomly), which only disconnecting the battery would stop.

The relay seems to be ok, and I can't seen any chaffed wires going to it. I had a good look at a length of the loom and all looked ok.

So, I can only think that it's either temperature or battery related. Mike and I have suggested to Alan that a new battery would be the best thing to try. The car seems to be charging ok, so I don't think it's the alternator.

Hope you get home ok, Alan! Good seeing you again :) I think we're almost there :thumbs:

Cheers,

Iain

PS All other fault codes have cleared. Car got belts, variator, water pump and TDC sensor today. And guess who only realised that he hadn't refitted the rear belt cover until it was time to fit the front one??? :rant: Don't think I'll make that mistake again :lol:

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
if the pump is operating 2 times per seconds *something* is seriuosly wrong.

i had a similar issue with a fuel pump relay clicking on/off every 1/2 second, charging the battery ove rnight sorted the issue.

Selespeeds do like ot have a good healthy battery

Do you have any fluid loss?

as you have alfadaig, why not monitor the pressure in the system?

The pressure should go form 45bar to 55bar, if this ain;t happening then

!!! THINK SAFETY FIRST !!!

1. the INLET filter of the actuator is block

[ open the 22mm connection, after depressureising the system & then be careful of the spring loaded components behind the 22mm nut ]

2. the accumulator, there is a FIAT p/n, see the 'sticky' selespeed thread, iirc pg11

3. the pressure switch could need replacing

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
PS what 'rear cover'?
& why did you remove it?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
if you need oil use Tutela CS or Castrol Dextron III [ 3 ]

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Cheers for that. Sounds like your one was battery-related too. Don't think there's fluid loss... If anything it was over-filled (Mike drained some out).

Problem for me is that Alan's near Newcastle and I'm north of Edinburgh! I think AlfaDiag is a sound investment for him though...and anyone who has an Alfa!

We'll see how the battery change goes, and take it from there :) A pressure switch was my other thought. I did scan through the sensors for a pressure reading, but it was getting late and one didn't leap out at me!

Thanks again,

Iain

PS The rear, front cam belt cover. To remove the water pump. I'm not the first! :D

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
sorry, Iain, i assumed it was your car.

you were helping anothe rmebers...well fair play to you :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you done the checks I pm'd you yet?
Me or Mike?

Me: It ran the EOL calibration routines fine a week ago after I adjusted the clutch rod to 28.0<>28.5mm. Relay swapped with no difference. Terminals ok. Wiring looks ok also.

Mike (he may correct me on this) did the pre-sale checks a week ago, and when the battery was fully charged this afternoon. All was ok. After a run, it wouldn't select any gear above 2nd when stationary (can't remember if engine was running or not), and would tend to jump out of gear.

He's away walking his dog at the moment...he might chip in later/tomorrow.

Cheers,

Iain

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Nah... my own selespeed system (ears, eyes, brain, left arm and left leg) is working fine :cheese:
:lol: yep mines been working fine like yours for years ... the only time I had trouble was when I crashed my motorbike ... found it hard to change gears in my car for a while :confused: :lol:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Alan had told us that the pump had been running continuously when priming and also when the engine is running you could hear the pump intermittently .When the ignition was switched on you got the warning Selespeed System Failure.
We had the battery on charge for about 7 hours. After all the mechanical work had been finished and the tests run on Alfa diag with Alan on board I took her out for a test drive.The pump primed as it should and stopped after about 7 seconds.
I did all the stationary gear tests and all went well. We then took her out for a 7 mile test drive and the sele behaved impeccably. We got back from the test run and all was normal. Iain was going to run another diagnostic , Alan switched the ignition on and the pump would not shut off. I then tried the gear change again and when I put it in gear it jumped staright back to neutral and would not stay in gear.
The battery Alan has in his car is 60 ampere.

·
Registered
78 Posts
car seemed to drive home not too bad, still obviously the gears sticking :( nd getting out to unplug the battery. and was goin into neutral and the pump constantly pumping but a bit of music sorted that out :).Was great tho driving over 68MPH lol :). Was a bit cold too couldnt shut the window the switch is broken..... has any1 got a 1 they can sell me? its a 147 on a Y plate.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to update these Selespeed error codes. When I first looked at the car yesterday, it was registering:

P1748 Switch lever 3 not plausible
P1746 Switch lever 1 not plausible
P1769 Pump relay stuck
P1768 Low battery
P1745 Switch lever 0 not plausible

After clearing them, P1769 kept on reoccurring.

When it started misbehaving, P1768 came back.

I *think* that one of the switch levers (0?) came back after it started going daft...as I said though - the sun was setting by this time! :(

All the engine ECU faults have gone though :D

Mike's found info on cleaning the Sele loom multi-plug pins, so I think that's something worth trying. It does appear to be electrical gremlins of some kind...

·
Registered
568 Posts
When Alans car ran well, before and during the test run the Selespeed pump acted , sounded and behaved normally. When we got back from the run the Sele was still acting normally and working 100% correct. Alan switched the car off and parked up. When he turned the ignition on less than 5 minutes later the pump problem reoccurred.The relay was giving an intermittent signal to the pump to prime which the pump was trying to do.Even turning off the ignition did not stop the pump priming. Disconnecting the relay stopped this (logical).Iain switched relays but the problem still occurred.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts