Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helly everyone, I finally registred after being browsing here for a long time.
I hope you can enlighten me with this problem:

I went for a test drive on an Alfa Romeo GT 2.0 JTS Distinctive SLSPD. From 2004.
The car drives good and I really liked it (It's going to be my first car). But while returning to the garage I realized that when being in the 1st or rear gear and pressing the acceleration just a tiny bit (like 10% of the pedal) the car started shaking back and forth till I press the acceleration a bit more. Like someone trying for the first time driving a manual car and not giving enough acceleration on starting off. (Dont know how to explain it in words, I hope its clear) So I went to talk to the seller (Which is a BMW garage) and explained it, he tried and resulted the same problem. He called a friend of him (Which is an Alfa Romeo garage owner) and started to explain the problem with the first and rear gear. The Alfa mechanic immediately asked "Is the car "jumping"?". As like it was a common problem. Which made me unsure.
He said it's a problem that the electronic clutch (?) which recognizes when the driver presses the acceleration does not grind properly. It's just a settings problem that can easly be fixed. I hope I didnt understand wrong. Anyway the seller is going to call me when it's fixed for another test drive and then I can decide if buying it or not.

Now my question is: is that really a common problem which can happen frequently or is it really just a settings problem? I dont want to buy a car which is only going to give me problems, especially the first car..

Some info about the car:
-81'000km
-Services done regularly (20'000km, 50'000km and 80'000km (Done 1 month ago with cam belt replaced)

Thanks in advance for your help and sorry for my poor english.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
I suspect you may have had the accelerator pressed slightly too lightly and were rocking between clutch open and closed.
It may also do that if you also have a foot on the brake while manoeuvring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your answer!
I dont know if that could be the problem.. Even the seller said that's "not normal" when he tried it and the Alfa Romeo mechanic presumed the car has a wrong setting which is easly "fixable". So he might had encountered situations like this before. And my foot was completely off the brake.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
OK. There is a procedure for setting up the clutch, which is reasonably straightforward.
Hopefully it is just that and it can be calibrated.

But even with the car setup properly it is possible to instigate that on/off behaviour if you hold just the wrong amount of throttle. You soon learn to apply slightly more or slightly less (whatever is best for the given situation!).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I hope it too. Im going to wait for his call and see how the second test drive goes. If it continues doing that, unfortunately, Im going to look for another car.. Which I really want to avoid. There is a second choice (same model, same year, less km) but it has horrible wheels and too many scratches for my taste. I might do a test drive with the second choice to see if it does the same.

If someone encountered something similiar, feel free to tell your experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts