Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

the problem is with my 147 selespeed gearbox. When you start engine, and try to engage 1st gear you can sound 2 "clicks" (feels like it's trying to engage 1st gear, but then jumps to 2nd) and you got 2nd gear enagaged! if you start driving and try to go from 2nd to 1st, it works fine. As well can't engage 3rd from 2nd, but can do 3rd from 4th. Sometimes when you drive on 4th is starts to flash R and then back to 4th!!! Selespeed oil level is ok. Could it be just clutch itself? (car did around 70k miles, without changind it) And if I change a clutch, do I have to bleed the system and then recalibrate it?

Thanks in advance, Constantine

·
Registered
84 Posts
many threads about this problem just put in selespeed in search box at top of page you will find an answer there, i just had a new selespeed gearbox placed in my car had new clutch plates new actuator goes like a dream now had many problems but mine also would not find 3-4 gear (that was actuator problem) NOT THE REASON FOR NEW GEARBOX (do not pannic yet,)
i assume it is a 2001-2002 model, the most common problem is the actuator, you need to get the car diagnosed by a dealer if you have no luck on the forum.
The selespeed guru on the forum is davidc. good luck

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi everyone!

the problem is with my 147 selespeed gearbox. When you start engine, and try to engage 1st gear you can sound 2 "clicks" (feels like it's trying to engage 1st gear, but then jumps to 2nd) and you got 2nd gear enagaged! if you start driving and try to go from 2nd to 1st, it works fine. As well can't engage 3rd from 2nd, but can do 3rd from 4th. Sometimes when you drive on 4th is starts to flash R and then back to 4th!!! Selespeed oil level is ok. Could it be just clutch itself? (car did around 70k miles, without changind it) And if I change a clutch, do I have to bleed the system and then recalibrate it?

Had a similar proplem turned out to be the actuator.At first it couldnt be detected by the examiner.It was only after the car heated up.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
XSX ours seemed to do this sometimes when we first bought it. Doesn't seem to now though. Put it down to operator error. Having said that, did check every available cable/plug I could find relating to the system. So far so good. The 60+ page article in the Tech Forum is well worth reading, with it's fault finding tree.zf

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies! Will try to go and check my bella on computer =)
But do you have to change a clutch at all on selespeed? Will it make any difference?

Regards, Constantine

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Think it's a dry plate type clutch, so suppose it could wear out. The auto system obviously controls the clutch operating action,ours seems to work pretty smoothly. Not too sure if you could 'ride' it and cause unecessary premature failure? Expert Sele' men about this morning?

·
Registered
135 Posts
All Selespeeds in Alfas have dry clutches. Those are normal, standard clutches. Not to be confused with some wet clutches in dual-clutch systems.

Findus

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hi everyone!

When did it last have the clutch rod adjusted and the gearbox calibrated?

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
As mad dog says , get the clutch rod checked and do an eol calibration, this can be done with alfadiag and or fiatecuscan.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Alfapat + 1 check with the diag computer before jumping to conclusions !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts