Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I must admit, even though the 147 Selespeed is a fantastic car to drive at speed, I find the power take-off from traffic lights to be a lttle disappointing.

I think it has to do with the clutch being slow to release.

I absolutely love the comment on page 126 of my owners manual which says:

"With ASR system off (pressing the ASR OFF button) moving off will be more brilliant."

Well, I am yet to find the brilliance. But there is no doubt, that once the car is moving, the gearchange via paddles is one of the most enjoyable drives around.

I am interested if other Selespeed owners feel the same.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hiya,

I concur with Stef. My 156 Selespeed is a fantastic car to drive on the open road especially when the going gets tight and twisty but yes getting a quick take-off from the lights is not easiest.

I spent a bit of time when I first got the car experimenting to try and work out what the fastest way to take off was. Its all dependent on how quickly you depress the accelerator. If you smash it straight to the floor the computer revs the engine (haven't watched how many revs) before dumping the clutch. This can produce a tyre screeching start which doesn't impress anyone and because of the delay between reving the engine and dropping the clutch you'll be slow away in a traffic light drag.

I've found the best way seems to be a moderately fast accelarator depression then the engine revs a bit before releasing the clutch. It then rides the clutch a little while maintaining the revs and once you hit 3000rpm the engine hits it's power band and you're off.

But lets face it, these cars aren't at their best when it comes to traffic light drags. If you want fast takeoffs pay a visit to the Mitsubishi or Subaru dealerships and buy a Evo or WRX.

The Alfa's come into their own on the open road. I've found that the 2 litre Twinspark may not be the most powerful engine out there but it certainly gets up and goes when you use the right gear for the situation.

I read somewhere that the program controlling the 147 Selespeed gearbox has some improvements over the 156 Selespeed. Is this true?

The thing I like is the fast gearchange mode - over 5000rpm on full throttle produces a .5 sec gearchange instead of the usual 1.5 sec one. However, there are some thing I don't like about the SW program. It has too much control. You have to change gear before the redline otherwise the computer does it for you at the redline - and it does a slow gearchange. It would be nice if it let you bounce it off the rev-limiter or at least did a fast gearchange. The other thing my 156 Selespeed does is a slow gearchange from 1st to 2nd no matter what revs or how much throttle. The fast gearchanges only work from 2nd up. Is this normal?

There are some nice touches though - like the way it automagically changes down under hard braking to use the engine braking though this can be annoying when pushing it along your favorite piece of road - you find the computer changes down as you do so you end up going down 2 gears instead of 1.

In short, I really like my Selespeed despite its imperfections. But I guess the computer program will only get better with updated versions of the SW. Anyone know if it's possible to upgrade the Selespeed program in the 156?

Cheers

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Stef,

I know what you mean, it's frustrating to stand in traffic light next to an infirior car that you know your 147 will leave far behind on an open road and actually pray / cross fingers that you will keep pace with it when the light turns green.

Disconnecting the ASR does help a bit.

But on an open road - heaven . . .

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mike,

You've hit the nail on the head. The only thing I will add is that on very very few occassions, I have been able to get good quick gearchanges between 1st and 2nd!!!

Don't ask me what the heck I did...all I know is I was somewhere between 6000 & 7000 rpm.

My problem is that I have a close friend of mine I go driving with quite often, and he drives a brand new Nisaan 200SX Turbo (147kw) and I am sick of tring to convince myself that I have a chance to keep up with him off the traffic lights.

I NEED A 147 GTA NOW!

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys, thought you might like a bit of info regarding your starting techniques. Unfortunately, the 147 and 156 selespeed have drive by wire throttles, this means no throttle cables and is used for emission purposes, so whatever you do you aint gonna get a fast pull away, because the throttle flap is controlled by the efi ecu and is programmed to minimise emissions. Now switching off the ASR will cure this I hear you say. Unfortunately no, the Anti Slip Regulation merely reduces engine torque in wheelspin situations, with ASR switched off you are still governed by the efi ecu's emission programming which doesn't see the need to open the throttle wide when accelerating from standstill.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the explanation.

But where is the solution?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chipping seems the only option although it could be a problem on the selespeed maintaining driveability.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts