Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2ltr 147 selespeed on a Y plate.
I think its a scrapper to be honest,
A clutch was recently fitted and since then it comes up selespeed system failure but if i disconect the battery it sometimes goes off and comes up system speed failure and wont go over 3000rpm, and is really jerky on city mode, The engine managment light is also on aswell.

Have you any clue what is wrong?

cheers
Al

·
Registered
568 Posts
On the 9th April you started your first thread about this car. A week ago somebody on here offered to fix it for you for a few beers if you drove it across to Middlesboro, you told him it was not necessary as your uncle was going to sort it. I take it your uncle has not sorted it ???

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Take this damn car to someone who has Alfdiag or an Examiner and pull the fault codes.

Then sort the darn clutch rod adjustment and speed sensor.

Who changed the clutch for you?

Was it your uncle?

Is the selespeed oil level correct?

M

·
0 Posts
Yeah take it to someone in the know (Smaky) as a few quid could save you scrapping the car...

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
sounds to me as wrong clutch rod lenght, and a re-calibrate to
wake up the system !
After fitting a new clutch assembly you MUST do a calibrate....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah probs just need to go on the computer hopefully,
someone told me i might need a new chip i dunno wich 1 tho nd sounds pretty expencive.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
guessing can become a very expensive game. you need to get it on alfa examiner and find out what the fault codes are.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Right... I've been to see Alan's Alfa, and can report the following:

1) Clutch rod was a couple of mm out - it was around 26.5mm before I started. This was adjusted using AlfaDiag and Smaky's excellent how-to. The clutch was bled, and the calibration routines run. Afterwards, the gearbox was a lot better :cool:

2) Fault codes were read (after clearing them(, which yielded:

Engine ECU: P0340 (camshaft position sensor), P0571 (cruise control brake switch) and P0155 (lambda sensor heater bank 2 pre-cat)

Sele ECU: P1760 (no brake signal), P0725 (engine speed no signal).

I'm assuming that P0340 and P0725 are related to a faulty cam sensor, which may also explain why the rev counter isn't working and starting takes a little more cranking than I'd expect. The engine isn't revving over 3,000 RPM either, but it seems to be cause by limp-mode, not a dud MAF. ALfaDiag is showing that the engine speed sensor is ok, so I'm attributing this to the TDC sensor as well, unless anyone has another explanation?

P0571 and P1760 are also suspiciously similar, and my guess would be a faulty brake pedal switch (the brake lights come on though).

The other fault code is obviously a lambda sensor in the downpipe. Does anyone know if it's the right one or the left one?

I also had a look at the cambelt, who's history is unknown. It looks 'reasonable' (but I've advised it be changed asap, especially as the TDC sensor need done, and the variator is starting to be noisy). I did find a completely snapped balance belt, which was extracted before it could do any damage - a lucky escape there!

Anyway, it's a nice car you've got there Alan, and to get it running is really only going to cost you a routine belt-service, plus a few odds and sods :)

Good seeing you...and you're welcome to come up to get the rest of the work done :thumbs:

Cheers,

Iain

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Probe 2 is the left one (if in doubt then unplug one and if the code changes you've picked the wrong one), the cruise control and sele brake switch are linked, this is the Brake pedal switch (check the plug first) and the cam postion sensor is going to be a cambelt change, it's stretched.

·
Registered
568 Posts
After iainfm had done his calibration and bleeding I checked the gearbox movement as Smaky told me to do with mine before I bought it.All gearbox movements were as good as flawless. Alan has had the car since January and has suffered at the hands of his mates for buying an Alfa. Just a little bit more patience Alan and in the words of Arnie Schwarzenegger "go kick some assp":cool: Just remember to keep your ID with you as you look about 12:eek:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i was driving today and stopped at lights car seemed to be normal then all of a sudden it stuck in gear again :( the gearbox was making a noise as well. I had to get out and unplug the battery to get it goin again :( (felt like a tiit,) haha.

haha mike2909 yeah always need ID and fingers crossed it can be all sorted soon :)

Iain i will be happy coming up to you and get the belt and stuff sorted.
If you give me a list on what i need to get for the car cheers
When will be best for you?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Do you put it into neutral when stopped? Might be worth trying if you don't...

You also had a speed-sensor fault, which I cleared and didn't come back while I was there. That might have reappeared.

Parts-wise you're looking at:

Cambelt kit (belt, idler and tensioner)
Balance belt kit (belt and tensioner)
Variator
Water pump (optionally, but it's probably about time)
TDC sensor (which I have)
Rocker cover gasket
Speed sensor (preferably on sale-or-return)

Next weekend should be ok with me. Like I said, I'm dependant on the weather to behave!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great i shall order them at NPA on tuesday as bank hol weekend.
I will still buy that TDC sensor if your still up for that?
How much do you think all that will come up to?
What did you mean on the Speed sensor (preferably on sale-or-return)
I shall look foward to seeing you again.
I will give you a ring nearer the times and see what the weather is going to be like :)

cheers
Alan

·
Registered
568 Posts
Alan before you order the parts get a price quote and then ask for a price quote from the address I will PM you. Always get a price quote from at least 2 sources before ordering, do not assume its the same price everywhere.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
P0725 is the speed sensor in the selespeed gearbox itself, near the reverse switch.

brake switch & crusie control will be the same switch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts