Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been driving my 147 selespeed 2003 for 2 years now....no problems whatsoever until yesterday when i was driving forward and the geer jumped to 5th automatically. i tried to lower it but the gear jumped to neutral and now wouldnt go up to 1 or to R.
After a few minutes around 15. Everything went back to normal. No errors showed on the multidisplay screen.
Can anyone give me a hint on the problem......
thX in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quick bg: I replaced the battery 4 weeks earlier and 2 weeks earlier i had a cambelt failure so had to replace a few things in the motor.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Well if you fitted a new battery, with the correct amperage rating, probably best to get it in for an Examiner diagnostic check?:):

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing is it all happened while i was moving and when the gears wouldnt stick the motor was running. so how could it be the battery?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Because the Sele' relies manifestly on a good battery supply at all times, as I found out when I got mine.:): It had a virtually brand new battery, but..., one with the incorrect amperage. All sorts of funny tricks were happening, until a new one was fitted, of the correct type/amperage.:):

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I see... I was wondering then if it was serious. or maybe a warning for something more serious to come.... I conclude from ur response that it is something shallow?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I inspected the selespeed oil and it seemed well below the expected level. I topped it........could it be this whats translated into the problem i had?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Check the pump relay, its one of the big black 50a ones in front of the battery (mine was the one on the left but they are sometimes mixed up).

This happened to me and i nearly got stranded, i swapped the relay for another one and the pump came on and after a minute i could select gears.

When i got home i opened up the relay and there was black soot type stuff on the contacts so a scratched it all off with a screwdriver and now its fine.

I can now here the relay clicking on from outside the car and it sounds alot more healthy, the problems not happened since.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I topped the selespeed oil, couldnt really find the pump relay to clean its connectors, the map on the cover dint really help too.
Anyways the gear change seems more healthy and smooth now and the problem hasnt happened since. hopefully it wont ever.
Thanx guys for the tips

1 - 10 of 10 Posts