Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Yes its another question yet again!

I have noticed that my selespeed knobs on the steering wheel is rubbing off!.

Does this happen to anyone else here with a 147 selespeed ?

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
It happened to me as well within 15,000 kms. The dealership replace the steering wheel (!) under warranty. The second set is holding much better.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by selespeed:
<strong>It happened to me as well within 15,000 kms. The dealership replace the steering wheel (!) under warranty. The second set is holding much better.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hans my dealer replaced a new steering wheel at 12,500Km but its happend again & he said Alfa is doing an investigation about it! Hope i get it replace soon! Do i know the cause of it ?

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
If its paint on the levers then it is probably body oils and/or perspiration from your skin softening the paint.
Cleaning the levers regularly may help

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ive just hit 13,000 km with mine and the sele paddles seem fine..

the rest of the car, well thats another story.

G

·
At 20,000 k's mine were already wearing off!

Re the body oils note....I think it wears off because of overuse, and also because of poor choice by Alfa!! Something used this often should not have been painted! It should have been contructed of GREY plastic (in of white and then painted grey!).

The alfa's in SA are warranted for 1 year only, so I doubt that my dealership will do anything about it! (My cars coming up for 2 years!) I even dread asking them...cos I know the answer...."....Buts its an Alfa, what did you expect.." Sometimes I feel they need a good "Snot-Klap" (Snot Smack - ie a smack so hard, it sends the snot flying!). But I'l have to wait as they still need to sort out some warranty related issues.....

I was thinking of having custom leather "gloves" made to snugly fit over the pedals..not sure how it would look though, but will try and get some prices....

If anyone else knows of a good/cheap fix....let me know!

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by shaheed:
<strong>At 20,000 k's mine were already wearing off!

Re the body oils note....I think it wears off because of overuse, and also because of poor choice by Alfa!! Something used this often should not have been painted! It should have been contructed of GREY plastic (in of white and then painted grey!).

The alfa's in SA are warranted for 1 year only, so I doubt that my dealership will do anything about it! (My cars coming up for 2 years!) I even dread asking them...cos I know the answer...."....Buts its an Alfa, what did you expect.." Sometimes I feel they need a good "Snot-Klap" (Snot Smack - ie a smack so hard, it sends the snot flying!). But I'l have to wait as they still need to sort out some warranty related issues.....

I was thinking of having custom leather "gloves" made to snugly fit over the pedals..not sure how it would look though, but will try and get some prices....

If anyone else knows of a good/cheap fix....let me know!</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">shaheed back in South Africa do you have the option to extend your warrenty since here in Aussie Alfa Romeo Gives you a 3Yr 100,000Km warrenty & Now they also give you an option to extend the warrenty once it has expired!

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Jay Smith:
<strong>Ive just hit 13,000 km with mine and the sele paddles seem fine..

the rest of the car, well thats another story.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jay!,

What the other story about your bella ? Whats wrong with it ?

G

·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Reuven:
<strong>Hi Yes its another question yet again!

I have noticed that my selespeed knobs on the steering wheel is rubbing off!.

Does this happen to anyone else here with a 147 selespeed ?</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes - 1000 miles (got it last week) and already the paint is coming off!!! not very happy about it. also, my dealer is a right jerk, My connect nav software is way out of date, the phone breaks down when the unit overheats, he has not arranged my connect nav subscription, which is supposed to be free the first 6 months, and the language files on the cvonnect nav for the voice recognition are in italian instead of english. Also, my manuals are in german.

I decided to buy from an alfa dealer instead of an online shop so i would have better service, but i guess i was wrong.....

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
My Bella has now 13.345 km. Everything is fine... I don't have "selepaddles" because mine is a 1.6 :rolleyes: :D :D wink

Anyway, the rest is almost like new. :cool:

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by hugo147:
<strong>My Bella has now 13.345 km. Everything is fine... I don't have "selepaddles" because mine is a 1.6 :rolleyes: :D :D wink

Anyway, the rest is almost like new. :cool: </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hugo!

What can I say! your lucky my freind but then again you dont get the joys of a selespeed system.

And dont know If you new this but here in OZ you can only get either the 2L Twin Spark Or 2L Selepeed unlike Europe where you can get a JTD 1.9 or 1.6. We do not have those options here & if we did I think we would see even more Alfa 147 on the roads! :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I can barely remember all the problems ive had with my car.

Below is a letter which I sent to the dealership in November after owning the car for 2 months.

Since December there have been alot more serious problems such as Steering rack and fluid lines being replaced and the dealership denting my car for a second time and acting like nothing happened.

But ill post this letter I sent just as an example of the first 2 months...

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dear Mr. Damelian

I am writing concerning various problems that I have encountered with my new Alfa Romeo 147.

Since taking delivery from Rick Damelian Alfa on the 14th October 2002, I have dealt with the following;

When washing the car on the 15th October, I noticed a large chip on the front right quarter panel. The chip appeared to have been covered with touch up paint prior to delivery. I was not informed of this mark or the action taken to cover it up when I took the car. In addition to the mark on the front guard, I also noticed a deep scratch on the left rear alloy wheel.

I immediately brought these issues to the attention of Mr. James Partridge, an Alfa Salesperson. When discussing this with Mr. Troy Speed, the Alfa Sales Manager, I was informed that he could not determine if the car was damaged before or after the dealership received the car. Mr. Speed told me that the guard would have to be re-sprayed and the wheel repaired. He assured me that both items would be perfect, and that I would not be able to notice any difference.

As this was a brand new car and not a demonstrator, these issues concerned me greatly. With the assurance from a manager that the car would be perfect, I accepted the car in its current state.

On the 19th October, whilst applying the brakes to slow into a corner, the selespeed gearbox slipped from neutral to 5th gear for no apparent reason. As well as this, the sunroof stopped working and was stuck in the third tilt position.

Again, I contacted Mr. Partridge but was told that the service centre was closed as it was the weekend, and I would have to wait until the next working day to get the issues addressed. The sunroof was dealt with temporarily by Foley Alfa, of Carlton, as I did not want to wait two days due to poor weather. On the 21st October, the Service Centre took the car and resolved these issues which have not re-occurred.

However, on having the car returned to me, I was disappointed to find that the seats were heavily marked with grease. After bringing this up with the Service Centre, they attempted to clean them to no avail. I was then left to pay a $33 fee to have the leather seats treated and cleaned by the company who installed them, Blackman & Son, in Caringbah.

On the 26th October I noticed a loud noise coming from the left side of the engine bay which was not there previously. The car has been serviced twice in relation to this and the problem is yet to be resolved even though I have been told it was fixed.

As scheduled, the car went to the service centre for repairs to the front guard on the 6th November. The car was returned to me on the 8th November. To my disappointment, the re-sprayed panel does not match the rest of the car, which was noted by Mr. Speed and the Service Manager, Mr. Uildriks. At this point they agreed that the guard must be re-sprayed again, as the difference was too obvious.

In the past month I have run out of fuel twice. The fuel level indicator was still displaying more than a quarter tank remaining in both instances. I informed the service department, and they told me that they would replace the fuel ‘sender unit’ when the car came in to have the guard re-sprayed.

The car was booked into the service department for the 26th November to have the guard re-sprayed, wheel repaired and ‘sender unit’ replaced. I was informed on the 27th that when removing the ‘sender unit’ they discovered the fuel tank was warped from the climate. They replaced the fuel tank and the car was returned to me on the 28th November.

While the car was in service during the 26th to 28th November, there was damage caused to the drivers side door of the car. I spoke with Mr. Uildriks, who told me that the door would be repaired at the service department’s expense.

The vehicle is scheduled in for the 4th December and is expected back on the 6th of December. I understand that the driver’s door will also be repaired at this time.

I have been left without any transport for almost three weeks since taking delivery of this new car even though I was assured that I would be provided with a loan car on all occasions where my car was in the workshop. There have been extensive delays in all of my dealings with the dealership and the standard in which all matters have been handled has not been satisfactory.

If this is any indication of what I should expect from Alfa Romeo or Rick Damelian, I will take my business elsewhere in the future. These ongoing problems have led me to become increasingly dissatisfied with my purchase because of the problems that have occurred in less than two months of ownership.

Although I am pleased that the dealership has the intention to rectify the problems, I am very upset that a $47,000 motor vehicle requires these types of repairs. This vehicle was sold to me in a condition I would expect from a demonstrator, not a brand new vehicle at full retail price.

I am bringing these issues to your attention with the expectation of resolving this horrible experience I have had with Alfa Romeo and Rick Damelian.

Sincerely

Jay Smith

<hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Jay Smith:
<strong>I can barely remember all the problems ive had with my car.

Below is a letter which I sent to the dealership in November after owning the car for 2 months.

Since December there have been alot more serious problems such as Steering rack and fluid lines being replaced and the dealership denting my car for a second time and acting like nothing happened.

But ill post this letter I sent just as an example of the first 2 months...

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dear Mr. Damelian

I am writing concerning various problems that I have encountered with my new Alfa Romeo 147.

Since taking delivery from Rick Damelian Alfa on the 14th October 2002, I have dealt with the following;

When washing the car on the 15th October, I noticed a large chip on the front right quarter panel. The chip appeared to have been covered with touch up paint prior to delivery. I was not informed of this mark or the action taken to cover it up when I took the car. In addition to the mark on the front guard, I also noticed a deep scratch on the left rear alloy wheel.

I immediately brought these issues to the attention of Mr. James Partridge, an Alfa Salesperson. When discussing this with Mr. Troy Speed, the Alfa Sales Manager, I was informed that he could not determine if the car was damaged before or after the dealership received the car. Mr. Speed told me that the guard would have to be re-sprayed and the wheel repaired. He assured me that both items would be perfect, and that I would not be able to notice any difference.

As this was a brand new car and not a demonstrator, these issues concerned me greatly. With the assurance from a manager that the car would be perfect, I accepted the car in its current state.

On the 19th October, whilst applying the brakes to slow into a corner, the selespeed gearbox slipped from neutral to 5th gear for no apparent reason. As well as this, the sunroof stopped working and was stuck in the third tilt position.

Again, I contacted Mr. Partridge but was told that the service centre was closed as it was the weekend, and I would have to wait until the next working day to get the issues addressed. The sunroof was dealt with temporarily by Foley Alfa, of Carlton, as I did not want to wait two days due to poor weather. On the 21st October, the Service Centre took the car and resolved these issues which have not re-occurred.

However, on having the car returned to me, I was disappointed to find that the seats were heavily marked with grease. After bringing this up with the Service Centre, they attempted to clean them to no avail. I was then left to pay a $33 fee to have the leather seats treated and cleaned by the company who installed them, Blackman & Son, in Caringbah.

On the 26th October I noticed a loud noise coming from the left side of the engine bay which was not there previously. The car has been serviced twice in relation to this and the problem is yet to be resolved even though I have been told it was fixed.

As scheduled, the car went to the service centre for repairs to the front guard on the 6th November. The car was returned to me on the 8th November. To my disappointment, the re-sprayed panel does not match the rest of the car, which was noted by Mr. Speed and the Service Manager, Mr. Uildriks. At this point they agreed that the guard must be re-sprayed again, as the difference was too obvious.

In the past month I have run out of fuel twice. The fuel level indicator was still displaying more than a quarter tank remaining in both instances. I informed the service department, and they told me that they would replace the fuel ‘sender unit’ when the car came in to have the guard re-sprayed.

The car was booked into the service department for the 26th November to have the guard re-sprayed, wheel repaired and ‘sender unit’ replaced. I was informed on the 27th that when removing the ‘sender unit’ they discovered the fuel tank was warped from the climate. They replaced the fuel tank and the car was returned to me on the 28th November.

While the car was in service during the 26th to 28th November, there was damage caused to the drivers side door of the car. I spoke with Mr. Uildriks, who told me that the door would be repaired at the service department’s expense.

The vehicle is scheduled in for the 4th December and is expected back on the 6th of December. I understand that the driver’s door will also be repaired at this time.

I have been left without any transport for almost three weeks since taking delivery of this new car even though I was assured that I would be provided with a loan car on all occasions where my car was in the workshop. There have been extensive delays in all of my dealings with the dealership and the standard in which all matters have been handled has not been satisfactory.

If this is any indication of what I should expect from Alfa Romeo or Rick Damelian, I will take my business elsewhere in the future. These ongoing problems have led me to become increasingly dissatisfied with my purchase because of the problems that have occurred in less than two months of ownership.

Although I am pleased that the dealership has the intention to rectify the problems, I am very upset that a $47,000 motor vehicle requires these types of repairs. This vehicle was sold to me in a condition I would expect from a demonstrator, not a brand new vehicle at full retail price.

I am bringing these issues to your attention with the expectation of resolving this horrible experience I have had with Alfa Romeo and Rick Damelian.

Sincerely

Jay Smith

<hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jay !

Im Speachless I am really sorry to hear of the problems that you have had with your bella! And I thought I had problems!

I hope that all goes well & everything gets sorted out ASAP from Rick Damelian, if not I would report this to Ateco and take it further!

I'm very upset to hear this has happened.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mate, ive spoken to Damelians and Ateco at length.

In Australia there are no 'lemon laws', basically because we have good warranty we have no leg to stand on and as long as they agree to repair there is nothing we can do.

My car in 6 months has had over $6500 ($3000 USD) spent on repairs. All under warranty of course.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<strong>Mate, ive spoken to Damelians and Ateco at length.

In Australia there are no 'lemon laws', basically because we have good warranty we have no leg to stand on and as long as they agree to repair there is nothing we can do.

My car in 6 months has had over $6500 ($3000 USD) spent on repairs. All under warranty of course.</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">All that I can further suggest is dont service your car at Damelians any more try Italia, Centro or Foley.

PS bought my car at Centro as did Justin & they can't help me enough best Alfa service I know around. Great customer service

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well the thing that gets me is that I know of 5 people in Sydney with Alfa 147's, and not one of them has had the problems ive had, and even the ones that have had problems have been so minor.

I got a dud.. frown

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Reuven:
<strong>Hugo!

What can I say! your lucky my freind but then again you dont get the joys of a selespeed system.
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, my Bella has showed me she's faithful :D wink Unfortunately I've never drove one Sele. They are very, very rare here as the tax system goes for the engine capacity and that, makes a 2.0TS 5.000€ more expensive than a 1.6 (the Selespeed is more 7.000€) :rolleyes:

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> <strong>
And don't know If you new this but here in OZ you can only get either the 2L Twin Spark Or 2L Selepeed unlike Europe where you can get a JTD 1.9 or 1.6. We do not have those options here & if we did I think we would see even more Alfa 147 on the roads! :) </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're right. With more options the market is bigger. It's a pity that, at least you don't get the JTD. :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts