Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

My '51 plate 147 Selespeed (34,000 miles) is getting a occasional problem with changing gear using the joystick. Sometimes you can move the joystick to change gear and nothing happens. No flashing of gear number and no warning lights. There is no problem using the paddles. It seems to happen occasionaly and then is ok for days and days, but I have a suspicion it happens when I'm on a longer journey, ie more than the 11 miles to work. I've searched the threads and there seems to be info about microswitches beneath the joystick. Is this a DIY job?....or is something more sinister on the way? Is there any check I can do without getting to Alfa/Indie?

btw, all oil levels religiously kept at max and it was calibrated and had new up to date software flashed in by Alfa last November.

Cheers, Dai.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Have only looked at the illustration on the CD I have, it does look fairly straightforward to get at the switch, but in all honesty have not been there. Perhaps someone has dug around in this area, but the CD is worth having, if just to get an insight into the complexity of the Sele setup. Too complicated for me! Perhaps someone out there has had a similar problem? and can help Dai?

V

·
0 Posts
How much play is there in the action of the joystick? I don't know whether you can change the microswitches for new ones but I seem to remember David C (resident expert, esp. with Selespeeds) saying that a whole new joystick is about £100. I don't think it's incredibly difficult as a DIY job to replace.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Vo2Max,

I don't think there's any real play in the joystick as such. It's still pretty springy and feels positive.

Would you know how to test these microswitches before I spend on new bits?

thanks for your advice,

Dai

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Dai, Have had a look at the illustration, for what it's worth,and my understanding is, that to get at the gear lever/switching control on the Selespeed, the carrier for the lever has to be removed from the transmission, then on the bench the lever assembly is removed from the carrier. Looks as if there is a fair amount of underside work to get at it.However,it is possible I suppose, that someone knows a far easier way to gain access to it. That's assuming the fault you describe lies in this area?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zulu, Thanks for the advice. I've ordered a maintenance CD from ebay to have a look at this (it was only £5 so worth the gamble). Unfortunatley I don't have a pit to get under the car (I won't crawl under - scared!) so I may have to get to my Indie if it gets worse. At the moment it's behaving itself, really smooth and always changes. Typical. Cheers once again. Dai.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Yes agree with that crawling around under motors,bain of my life! Annoying faults as you have, become more frustrating when knowing it needs fairly major dismantling to access a relatively straightforward component. Hope your Indy sorts it for you.

S

·
0 Posts
May seem silly, but when it stops working, can you still hear the microswitches clicking?

When you move the selespeed stick about, you should be able to hear the microswitches click as they are engaged. If you can hear the click, but still nothing, it is the switches or a wiring problem, if you can't it is the switches have stopped being hit by the stick, or the switches are gummed up somehow.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Andy, To be honest I've not heard any switches inside the car clicking. I only hear the gearbox clunking sometimes. I'll listen carefully later on.

What I have noticed this morning, when it failed to register my request for 4 - 3 that if I just lightly move the joystick back or fore (really small movement) it works. I think it sometimes fails if you push the joystick to it's full extent. I might be getting paranoid on this one! After that one failure it worked OK for the rest of the 10 miles to my place of work. Luckily the paddles are an immediate back up as they work no problem.

Dai.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Ok for you guy's, I'd need some sort of electronic stethoscope to hear electronic switches operating, you lucky chaps! Good Luck with sorting your problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts