Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a new 147 driver of 3 months. I have met some puzzling selespeed issues. Hopefully the folks can help. The problem happens after I discover low selespeed oil.

1 The mechanic found that there is a crack at the high pressure hose where the rubber and clamp meets. the hose was removed and sent for replacement of the rubber hose. it was a recon job.

2 The gear 1 and 2 was flashing without error code. I could not shift up the gear from gear 2. The mechanic changed out the accumulator and pump. these are all brand new. relays and contacts were cleaned. ecu and accuator was swopped with a donor car. very much on a trial and error method.

after the pump and accumulator changed there was no more flashing gear issues and gear shift was satisfactory. BUT here comes the problem.

1 There was no priming activation at the opening of door, even on the 1st start in the morning.
2 The gear shift was weak.. eg. G2 to G3...you will see the "2" flashing once before its 3.
3 I can feel that the pump is priming every 6-7 second when the engine is running.

what could has possibly happened?:depressed: help!!!

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Hard to say as too much has been swapped over to make full sense of what is going on, however there does seem to be pressure issues. Either the relay powering the pump is not working properly, or maybe the pressure sensor on the new acctuator is shot. So forstarters, I would swap the relay, see what that does, then the pressure sensor, assuming the pump and accululator are good.

HTH

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to say as too much has been swapped over to make full sense of what is going on, however there does seem to be pressure issues. Either the relay powering the pump is not working properly, or maybe the pressure sensor on the new acctuator is shot. So forstarters, I would swap the relay, see what that does, then the pressure sensor, assuming the pump and accululator are good.

HTH
The relays are cleaned and swopped.. I too suspect that there is a leak of pressure somewhere in the system...could it be the high pressure hose? It is a recon job for the hose. The rubber hose was changed keeping the metal connectors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
y is it that when the door is opened...its dead silence...and when the mar is turned, its pumping 5-6sec interval...

is the 5-6sec interval normal? how should the interval pump normally?

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
pumping every 5-6 seconds suggests you are losing pressure, the pump has to start up again to get the pressure back to 40-45 bar, only top lose it again in another 5-6 seconds time. Any fluid loss? Was that accumulator brand new or a used part?
Not sure why it does not poump with opening the door, broken wire maybe, as when opened the door catch sends the signal for the interior light to come on and the pump to prime, is you interior light coming on?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pumping every 5-6 seconds suggests you are losing pressure, the pump has to start up again to get the pressure back to 40-45 bar, only top lose it again in another 5-6 seconds time. Any fluid loss? Was that accumulator brand new or a used part?
Not sure why it does not poump with opening the door, broken wire maybe, as when opened the door catch sends the signal for the interior light to come on and the pump to prime, is you interior light coming on?
Hi bro purple...i was stranded on the road 2 days ago..It may sounds strange the gear dropped to neutral after i horn the feller who filter in without checking!!! Aftet that its random running gear. On tow back to garage.

The machanic swop out with a used actuator...i assume that the mechanic did exchange my new accumulator when he did the change...My pump was new too

I have collected the car last evening...the drive was initially ok.....but after some prolong driving on gear 5....it started flashing!!! However i am able to engage all gears.

Went back and the graph shows that pressure didnt dropped below 43bar.

this morning i woke up early to chk in the car, There is no priming when i open the door but the priming interval has improved to abt one minutes. Flashing 5 still persist.

Any bros encounter this problem?

Merry xmas to all!

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
hi, you must have access to MultiEcuScan or similar (to get the pressure readings), what error codes are you getting? May be a faulty sensor on the 5th gear, but you really do need those codes, otherwise it gets very time consumning and expensive guessing.....

·
Registered
30,297 Posts
The machanic swop out with a used actuator...i assume that the mechanic did exchange my new accumulator when he did the change...
Don't assume anything.
He may have just swapped the complete actuators over.
In which case, your new accumulator is either on a shelf in his workshop, or in his scrap bin...

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Selespeed woes

check the system with dnecudiag, especially the pressure, should be 55 bar (not 45)
my experience tells me its the accumulator...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
hi, you must have access to MultiEcuScan or similar (to get the pressure readings), what error codes are you getting? May be a faulty sensor on the 5th gear, but you really do need those codes, otherwise it gets very time consumning and expensive guessing.....
They are using the smart phone app bluetooth type of scanner...there is no error code recorded... i am going back tomorrow. Really tearing my hair out..

I have also realised that gear 5 is ok when the rpm is on the way up...it started flashing when the rpm dopped.

My reverse gear is retarded at times...is gear 5 and reverse sharing the same sensor?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The machanic swop out with a used actuator...i assume that the mechanic did exchange my new accumulator when he did the change...
Don't assume anything.
He may have just swapped the complete actuators over.
In which case, your new accumulator is either on a shelf in his workshop, or in his scrap bin...
I hold the selespeed tank and felt the pump priming...its about 1min or more for now.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
They are using the smart phone app bluetooth type of scanner...there is no error code recorded... i am going back tomorrow. Really tearing my hair out..
need the proper ECUscan or AlfaDiag for get to the hear of the matter, although I think Rarebear and David C may be on the money! What have they done with your old stuff?!

·
Registered
450 Posts

I have also realised that gear 5 is ok when the rpm is on the way up...it started flashing when the rpm dopped.

My reverse gear is retarded at times...is gear 5 and reverse sharing the same sensor?
Is the brake pedal switch working reliably? It is normal for the reverse gear to be slow sometimes.

·
Registered
30,297 Posts
Hi the hydraulic pressure on idle looks like this. The mechanic says the pressure is normal. Is this ok?
Depends how quickly the pressure is dropping and what you are doing while it is dropping.

You should be able to do several gear changes BEFORE the pump is triggered again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi the hydraulic pressure on idle looks like this. The mechanic says the pressure is normal. Is this ok?
Depends how quickly the pressure is dropping and what you are doing while it is dropping.

You should be able to do several gear changes BEFORE the pump is triggered again.
Hi david

Attached is the graph shown while driving. The pressure dropped every gear change. The mech has insisted that the pressure is holding well.

There are a few things to highlight

1 there is no priming on opening of door. The cabin light is working.

2 the gear shift up and down with no problem on turning of MAS

3 the priming interval is 40sec in between

4 pump and accumulator are new. Actuator tho used as swop twice so this is the 3rd one.

5 its hell break loose after i discover a faulty gearbox and i changed the clutch and gearbox 3 months back.

The mech swop out one of the sensor( please see the attached)

I thought the flashing 5th gear problem was solved. After some prolonged driving on 5th, its back again. Its driving smoothly on 5th and all gears can be engaged without a problem. What does the flashing 5 trying to tell me?

Attachments

·
Registered
30,297 Posts
The pressure dropped every gear change. The mech has insisted that the pressure is holding well.
:
So is the pump running after every gear change?

Very easy to test, no need for any diag kit.
Just sit with the ignition on (engine NOT running) and count how many gear changes you can make before the pump runs again.

Simple question: Has it got the correct fluid in it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The pressure dropped every gear change. The mech has insisted that the pressure is holding well.
:

Just sit with the ignition on (engine NOT running) and count how many gear changes you can make before the pump runs again.

Hi david

I have used yr method and every 2 gear shift activate one pump. Is this normal?

The fluid used is tutela which is standard.

I have suspect a lost of pressure at gear 5 which trigger the flashing. Please see the graph, i had circle out in blue. There is a slope down.

While flashing it didnt drop out of gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Flashing 5th gear again

:

I was almost on tow truck 1 week back. it is behaving strangely with flashing 1 and 2 and sometimes, was not engaging gears.i found out that the new pump was not working. it is well running again after I had strap a cable tie over the big RELAY. I was able to drive flawlessly for 50km to the work shop.

the mech clean the contacts and change the relay.

the graph after the relay clean looks like this :

engine on idle mode

http://i.imgur.com/P1lrPZ0.jpg

There is an improvement of the pressure retention as shown on the 2nd peak of about 6 minutes. the 1st and 3rd looks strange.

Driving

http://i.imgur.com/HHbPBin.jpg
2 gear shift to one activate one pump.

MAR on without engine running
http://i.imgur.com/wQKpYTf.jpg

there is 3 gear shift before the pump is activated. able to shift up and down all gears.

It greeted me the next morning with short door priming....... before the relay changed and contacts clean, it was dead.

I was able to drive without any problem. I thought that all the previous issue has be solved.

The GEAR 5 will start flashing again after 2min of driving on the highway. there is no problem shifting in all gears.

is there any problem with the graph/pressure? What are the suspected culprit? can I ignore the flashing 5? my mechanic suspect its wiring problems.

There was a clutch and gear box changed 3 months back. High pressure hose leak and was changed too. The pump and accumulator are new. This is the 3rd actuator (used).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts