• Don't know, never tried it

Votes: 28 28.6%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
AlfaMartini said:
I fully agree with GTACharlie, so I wont elaborate as my own comments would be be virtually identical to his.

After 15,000 klms of "spirited" & hugely enjoyable driving in my GTA the system has been reliable with the exception of a downshift paddle switch failure. The dealer fitted a pair of improved/upgraded replacement switches under warranty, and so far the problem has not recurred. In any case paddle switch failure is not a major drama because it does not affect operation of the sequential stick-shift or city mode. :) :cool:
Whoops! I forgot - I've had the paddles replaced twice in 20,000km. But like you, I though it was such a small problem and as it was replaced under warranty without complaint I didn't even remember it as a real problem... They told me that new Selspeed owners sometimes press the padles too hard at first, and while at first I didn't believe them (and didn't really think that this was a valid excuse), truth is, both times I had them replaced occured withing my first 3-4 months of ownership. For the past 10,000km at least, i have had no problems with the paddles at all.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
symonh2000 said:
Possibly if it was more reliable, I have heard lots of expensive horror stories. The concept is great though.
In Australia,reliabily can certainly be an issue. If I visit my parents, the nearest dealers are
1) 400 km away (in Adelaide ,South Australia)
2) 600 km away (where I live in Melbourne, Victoria)
3) 1050 km away (in Sydney NSW)

and the dealer that is 400 km away is 720 km from where I live and the dealer 1050 km away is 880 km from where I live.

Of couse if I had a BMW :eek: , there would be a Dealer in the (rural) City my parents live in. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
Maybe. I'd want to try it first.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Stori said:
I do about 20,000 km a year in City Trafic and have driven several 156s and 147s with Selespeed . I find the Selespeed to be worst when the traffic is heaviest with clunky and jerky changes ,whether in City or "manual" selection mode. The more I drive a Selespeed in heavy city traffic, the more I detest it :(

I have never driven a GTA, so maybe it is better than cars with 2.0 litre motors and selespeed.

Surely this is not a selespeed problem but a fault somewhere??

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm in the process off looking for a 2.0 147 to buy...and everytime I see a bargain on the selespeed's I'm sooo tempted

I've never tried it, but I would if I was certain it wouldnt break down on me.

What are the common faults with selespeed boxes anyway? ..and would I need a bank loan to pay for possible problems?:lol:

like someone said before, nice concept but apparently big headache!

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
91000 km and still going strong. overall I like it but you just can't shake the feeling that one day it will fail.... can only hope it'll happen at the correct place and time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got one and no it's not. Takes a bit of getting used to though, if you've never tried it before you can end up surging forward when trying to move along a few feet or coming out of the garage. To get the best 'relaxed' changes I vary the throttle myself as if I was driving a manual, the computer doesn't seem have much clutch control;).
Mine's been fine. Are we all just living in a fear created by soul less hacks?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Waht should I say , ther is no option Have one :) but anyway, i love manual gearboxes, but tried this one. works just fine.

Has any one tried 147 2.0 ts selespeed and 147 gta selespeed, b/c i think it should shift a bit quicker, does it on gta ?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Cobra said:
Waht should I say , ther is no option Have one :) but anyway, i love manual gearboxes, but tried this one. works just fine.

Has any one tried 147 2.0 ts selespeed and 147 gta selespeed, b/c i think it should shift a bit quicker, does it on gta ?
The Selespeed on the GTA is a completely different animal than on the 2 liter engines - shifts are quicker, can handle higher revs and seem smoother both up and down. Have driven manuals my whole adult life (28 years) so it blows me away how satisfied I am with it. Great piece of technology!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Charlie, how true is it that the selespeed system on the GTA has 2 actuators instead of 1 on the 'normal' 2.0 Selespeed? I've also heard that this infacts makes the selespeed on the GTA more reliable, since the actuator isnt overly stressed.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
wlm8361 said:
Charlie, how true is it that the selespeed system on the GTA has 2 actuators instead of 1 on the 'normal' 2.0 Selespeed? I've also heard that this infacts makes the selespeed on the GTA more reliable, since the actuator isnt overly stressed.
Here is a fairly good explanation of how it works as well as the difference between the GTA and the "normal" Selespeed:

"So how does it work? As already mentioned, the Alfa Romeo 147 GTA Selespeed has exactly the same clutch and gearbox as the manual car. But sitting on top of the gearbox are three electro-hydraulic actuator units, one operating the clutch and two changing the gears. These are controlled by a computer that takes its information from the accelerator pedal and a host of technical information pick-up points throughout the car, as well as the driver-operated controls. Thus, the Selespeed system knows whether the driver is driving at a leisurely pace or with the enthusiasm always engendered by the GTA and adapts its gearchanging style to suit, from smooth and slick to neck-snapping performance at all costs. At the press of a button, city mode may be selected in which case the Selespeed system takes over all gear changing responsibilities, but with no loss of performance and at any time the driver can take over control via the paddles or the gear stick.

The system has a number of safety systems that make it safer than even most automatic gearboxes. For example, open a door to get out of the car without taking it out of gear and the Selespeed system will slip into neutral. Driving is as easy as selecting a gear and pressing the accelerator pedal, which also tells the computer when to engage the clutch. The only visible changes to the 147 GTA for its transition to the 147 GTA Selespeed are the addition of paddles on the steering wheel, a new gear stick and the addition of the city mode button. Compared to the previous versions of the Selespeed system, which are all on the five speed gearbox used in the 156 and 147 Twin Spark, the main changes are to the software and the actuators on the gearbox. This is, obviously, to account for the extra gear, but also, because the six speed gearbox is a different heavy duty gearbox developed specifically to accompany Alfa Romeo's V6 engine, the software is able to be more aggressive with its shift pattern, an ideal combination for the Alfa Romeo 147 GTA's character."

the link for the whole article is here:

http://www.italiancar.com.au/pilot/feature017.htm

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice, so next thing should be GTA selespeed for me. If only the tax, insurance and registration aint so high here for engines over 2,5 l ( round 800 euro's think :mad: and for 2 l engines is round 200 e ) it would be much better ...

Tnx

·
Registered
404 Posts
....I'm driving a 4 yr. old 156 2.0L Sele that's covered 82k and it's been fine, so much so that a guy at work who I share lifts with has just bought a 147 and guess what, it had to be a Selespeed.

Like myself he's loving it and can't get enough of his driving at the minute, he wasn't particularly interested in cars either until he was a passenger in my car on the way to work and saw how the system operated. :)

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Is Selespeed rubbish? Well, if you're caught in heavy traffic every single day, then, yes.

If you live in the countryside, it's sheer bliss.

Mine's a 99 YM and it just recently started to play up because of a potentiometer being faulty. A new one is some £80 plus a recalibration. By "playing up" I mean it's engaging 2'nd and 4'th quite violently.

Apart from that, it's been almost trouble free for the past 4, nearly 5 years of ownership.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Hoygaard said:
Is Selespeed rubbish? Well, if you're caught in heavy traffic every single day, then, yes.

If you live in the countryside, it's sheer bliss.

Mine's a 99 YM and it just recently started to play up because of a potentiometer being faulty. A new one is some £80 plus a recalibration. By "playing up" I mean it's engaging 2'nd and 4'th quite violently.

Apart from that, it's been almost trouble free for the past 4, nearly 5 years of ownership.
Mine has been great in heavy traffic (so far) and that is the main reason I bought it - I have owned nothing but manuals my whole life, but am now facing serious traffic jams almost everyday - my GTA's Selespeed has truly transformed the experience,,,

·
Registered
924 Posts
Charlie, correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard that the "standard" selespeed has only 2 actuators, one to engage the clutch and one to change the gears. In the GTA 6-speed selespeed, there are 3 - again, one clutch but 2 for gears... this sounds almost like the Golf GTi DSG system. Hence, would it be fair to say that the GTA Selespeed is more reliable since the actuators are less stressed, having to do half a job? :)

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
wlm8361 said:
Charlie, correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard that the "standard" selespeed has only 2 actuators, one to engage the clutch and one to change the gears. In the GTA 6-speed selespeed, there are 3 - again, one clutch but 2 for gears... this sounds almost like the Golf GTi DSG system. Hence, would it be fair to say that the GTA Selespeed is more reliable since the actuators are less stressed, having to do half a job? :)

Now, I'm not Charlie, but you're wrong. There's only one actuator on the GTA Selespeed. Just like an ordinary Selespeed. The actuator actually comprises of three hydraulic units. One that works the clutch, one that does the "gearstick" lateral movement and one that does the longitudinal movement. What it really does is to move the selector shaft in and out of the gearbox, and turn it left or right. And of course it acts like an ordinary clutch slave cylinder. These actions are monitored by three potentiomers that keep track of the position of the clutch and the position of the gear selector shaft.

The VAG DSG system is completely different to the AlfaRomeo Selespeed system, because the VAG system comprises of two clutches. The VAG system is superior to the Alfa system, because it can engage the next gear while you're still accelerating in the currently chosen gear. When you shift up, all the gearbox has to do is to engage the other clutch and disengage the one transmitting power from the previous gear.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts