• Don't know, never tried it

Votes: 28 28.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep on reading lots of posts about people who've had problems with their selespeed transmission. Would you ever get a car which had it?

V

·
0 Posts
I was going to vote 'yes' but I was confronted by this cheesy slogan..."Yes - it allows me to fulfill my F1 fantasy" :rolleyes: Funnily enough, I am not sitting on the toilet with a box of tissues and a picture of Jensen Button :lol: .

But I would vote yes, mine's been as good as gold and a lot of fun. I can drive quicker with it than without it, if I choose. It works well with the TS which likes to have the revs kept high. A big thumbs up from me (until it goes wrong of course...)

·
Registered
33,640 Posts
I don't know if it's rubbish because I've never tried it.

I wouldn't buy one because...

W

·
0 Posts
This is missing an option....yes I've tried it, but I wouldn't buy it.

Sorry, too many "selected neutral while doing 70 in the fast lane" type stories for my liking.

But...I didn't really like it anyway :rolleyes:

wrinx

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
The Selespeed is in reality only good when you are driving hard on a winding road as it can change gears faster than a manual and is better than an automatic in these situations.
This is partely because, in countries like Australia you have to search out those winding roads as we had "Roman Enginneers"" building most of our roads ,so most of the times you get the inconvenience of the Selespeed will little enjoyment. Sort of like driving an F1 car in a Shopping centre car park ;)

IMO in all other situations you might as well have an automatic or manual. Both of which would be 10 times more reliable than Selespeed.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
From the age of 17 I had driven nothing but manual sports cars (mostly 6 speeds like the M3 or Impreza Sti my whole life, but then about 3 years ago I moved to a part of Tokyo where my daily commute suddenly changed to having to face nighmarish traffic jams.

Sold the Sti and got a used BMW 328 with an automatic transmission - although the engine and handling aspects of the car were superb, I was BORED TO DEATH by the automatic transmission and immediately began looking for clutchless manual sports cars. I couldn't swing an M3 SMG, and had always loved my wife's 156 SW (except for the "Q system" transmission), so I immediately began to check out the GTA Selespeeds.

Our old dealer let me take out a used 147 GTA Selespeed for about a 30 minute test drive, and I was so surprised, delighted and impressed by it that I almost signed the papers for a new one the moment I got out of the car! The icing on the cake was the price - a new 147 GTA with leather, Xenons, Bose and DVD Navigation only set me back about 4 mllion yen (1.5 million less than the 156 GTA, and about the same price as a standard BW 120 !!!!).

The Selespeed (at least in the GTA) does everything I want (and then some!). The downshifts are perfectly and astonishingly quickly done, with the perfect amount of throttle blip (better than my heel & toe technique on even my best days!), and you can downshift into first even at high rpms (unlike the pushbutton automatic trannies favored by the vast majority of other car makers). The upshifts are smooth and quick too, and the system works so perfectly even in heavy traffic that I haven't used the city mode (automatic shifting) in over a year.

I can also say that as a result of having to spend less time and mental energy thinking about how to get those perfect shifts during hard driving, I have been able to spend a lot more time focusing on other aspects of technical driving (weigh transfer, braking technique, etc) and my whole driving technique seems to have gone up a level or two. In short, the GTA Selespeed is an absolute delight to drive, and makes me look like a hero to boot! (So yes, in a sense it is fulfilling an F1 fantasy!).

V

·
0 Posts
I should imagine the throttle blips on downshifting sound pretty awesome with your engine too (something akin to a dragon roar) :cool:

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
GTACharlie said:
From the age of 17 I had driven nothing but manual sports cars (mostly 6 speeds like the M3 or Impreza Sti my whole life, but then about 3 years ago I moved to a part of Tokyo where my daily commute suddenly changed to having to face nighmarish traffic jams.

Sold the Sti and got a used BMW 328 with an automatic transmission - although the engine and handling aspects of the car were superb, I was BORED TO DEATH by the automatic transmission and immediately began looking for clutchless manual sports cars. I couldn't swing an M3 SMG, and had always loved my wife's 156 SW (except for the "Q system" transmission), so I immediately began to check out the GTA Selespeeds.

Our old dealer let me take out a used 147 GTA Selespeed for about a 30 minute test drive, and I was so surprised, delighted and impressed by it that I almost signed the papers for a new one the moment I got out of the car! The icing on the cake was the price - a new 147 GTA with leather, Xenons, Bose and DVD Navigation only set me back about 4 mllion yen (1.5 million less than the 156 GTA, and about the same price as a standard BW 120 !!!!).

The Selespeed (at least in the GTA) does everything I want (and then some!). The downshifts are perfectly and astonishingly quickly done, with the perfect amount of throttle blip (better than my heel & toe technique on even my best days!), and you can downshift into first even at high rpms (unlike the pushbutton automatic trannies favored by the vast majority of other car makers). The upshifts are smooth and quick too, and the system works so perfectly even in heavy traffic that I haven't used the city mode (automatic shifting) in over a year.

I can also say that as a result of having to spend less time and mental energy thinking about how to get those perfect shifts during hard driving, I have been able to spend a lot more time focusing on other aspects of technical driving (weigh transfer, braking technique, etc) and my whole driving technique seems to have gone up a level or two. In short, the GTA Selespeed is an absolute delight to drive, and makes me look like a hero to boot! (So yes, in a sense it is fulfilling an F1 fantasy!).
I do about 20,000 km a year in City Trafic and have driven several 156s and 147s with Selespeed . I find the Selespeed to be worst when the traffic is heaviest with clunky and jerky changes ,whether in City or "manual" selection mode. The more I drive a Selespeed in heavy city traffic, the more I detest it :(

I have never driven a GTA, so maybe it is better than cars with 2.0 litre motors and selespeed.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Stori said:
I do about 20,000 km a year in City Trafic and have driven several 156s and 147s with Selespeed . I find the Selespeed to be worst when the traffic is heaviest with clunky and jerky changes ,whether in City or "manual" selection mode. The more I drive a Selespeed in heavy city traffic, the more I detest it :(

I have never driven a GTA, so maybe it is better than cars with 2.0 litre motors and selespeed.
From what I understand, the systems are indeed significantly different, and I do remember being distincly underwhelmed when I test drove a 2 liter GT Selespeed a few months before I bought my GTA (though I attributed this to the lack of power rather than the Selespeed system).

At least for the GTA, I find it a delight to drive in city traffic, where it operates as a true clutchless manual. I love that you can leave it in first at a standstill, I love the way you can downshift into first gear even at 4000 rpm when traffic suddenly pops up (engine brake!), and I especially love the way you can hold gears and take off instantly when traffic opens up. There may indeed be better systems out there (SMG of BMW and DSG of VW come to mind), but this is the only one I've ever spent any real time behind the wheel of and I have to say I am 110% satisfied (at least for these first 19,500km), and I figure as it is basically the same system and parts used by Ferrari and Maserati, it can't be to bad...

S

·
0 Posts
Selespeed is the poodles danglies!

My wife has always had a hatred of Alfa Romeos due to cost of ownership etc. However I managed to persuade her into a 156 Selespeed, I popped it into CITY mode and she loved it. We now have one, which she enjoys driving.

I like it because it is fab for when you are crossing country at a pace, but when you really can't be bothered, CITY it and it is a full automatic. Mine doesn't judder, jerk or faf about at all. Even in full auto, it makes good gear choices, like straight 5th-3rd to overtake if you plant toe to carpet.

Fab, love it.

Andy

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
I fully agree with GTACharlie, so I wont elaborate as my own comments would be be virtually identical to his.

After 15,000 klms of "spirited" & hugely enjoyable driving in my GTA the system has been reliable with the exception of a downshift paddle switch failure. The dealer fitted a pair of improved/upgraded replacement switches under warranty, and so far the problem has not recurred. In any case paddle switch failure is not a major drama because it does not affect operation of the sequential stick-shift or city mode. :) :cool:

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
I would like it if I knew it were reliable, as wrinx said - when it breakes it can be awefully dangerous and I also would live in fear of "the actuator"

what was ever wrong with a rod,cable and stick :confused:

E

·
0 Posts
Never tried it so I don't know, but would like to know it is reliable. That said if we all listen to all the woeful reliability stories would we even own alfas?

If I was travelling in built up traffic more I would concider one. In my old Lancia I had to drive round the M25, and traffic was horrendous. With the heavy clutch by the end of the journey my left foot ached and I almost hated the car.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
VO2Max said:
I was going to vote 'yes' but I was confronted by this cheesy slogan..."Yes - it allows me to fulfill my F1 fantasy" :rolleyes: Funnily enough, I am not sitting on the toilet with a box of tissues and a picture of Jensen Button :lol: .

Ahh, now I know what my wife's been doing with my copy of Autosport! :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts