Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just been driving my Sportwagon for the first time. I am loving selespeed but I am still geting used to

What is the best way to drive it when I am around town with wife and baby?

I mean, If I want to be in manual but changing at 3k revs. do I need to lift off the pedal (just a little) or not?...I noted that by doing this the change is smoother

What do you think?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
I used to be very gentle with the throttle when driving my 147 SS. I tried to modulate my foot depending on the car revs and did lift off a little upon a gear change. But not too much otherwise I had an opposite effect and the car stuttered.

Hard to put down in words, but I definitely changed my way of driving to make it work better with the SS and the end results were a very smooth ride.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
For town driving then just lift slightly but keep about half throttle and this will give a smoother change.

When driving harder just keep your foot to the floor :D

I never use City mode as to me it feels worse than an automatic - changes when it wants but without being smooth and normally just when you are about to put your foot down.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yep, a slight lift off the throttle during upshifts makes all the difference. I also find that the 147 SS doesn't give enough revs on downshifts so if you're up for a bit of left foot braking give the throttle a slight blip on downchanges.

City mode is completely hopeless.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all of you for teh reponses. I will try to drive my sele as suggested...I just tales time to get used to it
Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts