Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I drive an Alfa 147 Selespeed, which has been absolutely wonderful to drive. But it did something today that didnt seem right. If i can explain, on approach to a roundabout i slowed the car right down (almost walking speed) when attempting to move off the engine just revved then moments later kicked into gear and jerked away. now it did move off fine after that, but my concern is if it is normal. Ive heard stories of cars flicking into neutral but this seems like the car is dumping the clutch. I havent driven many automatic cars but like i said this doesnt feel right.

Any insights appreciated.

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
Yep
What will have happened is that you accelerated while it was in the middle of its downchange from 2nd to 1st. There is quite a big gap between the two ratios due to 1st being so low, so that change can take longer than expected. That situation is far worse when in City mode because when rolling slowly in 2nd gear if you floor it it kicks down into 1st and it takes a long time to do it in those circumstances.

So:
1: don't use City mode
2: manually change down to 1st gear when nearing 1000rpm in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i tend not to drive in city mode anymore anyway, but i will start changing down manually, i have to admit i do let the car select the gear after braking. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
yep
If you come to a complete standstill, it will be in 1st and will be ok. It is the situations where you are still rolling slightly that can be tricky. You either need to stay fast enough so it doesn't get into the downchange zone, or manually changedown to 1st (remember it may need to be the lever as the paddles don't function below about 10km/h).

·
Registered
848 Posts
Almost clobbered the car in front when this happened once. It feels like the clutch is released, the Selespeed computer tries to figure out what on earth is going on, and then the clutch re-engages just when I've revved the engine to keep it going. Maybe the computer drops into newbie learner driver mode :)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
As mentioned above, I've had this kind of thing happen to me if I rely on the car to downchange automatically. I only let the car change down if I know I'm coming to a complete stop. Otherwise I find I can accelerate sometimes and get a rev followed by a jerk into life because just as I accelerated it changed down from 2nd to 1st.

Manually change down, end of problem. I love the sele but I don't rate it as a fully automatic.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Thought this was just on mine too until i drove another selespeed which did exactly the same thing, just takes some getting used to and it probably safer as it makes you stop at junctions, etc

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
This also happens when numpties start left foot braking, the sele will release the clutch, aloowing the engine to rev and then when you release the brake pedal it will dump the clutch and jump forward, all you have to do is amputate your left leg, there's no need for it in a sele.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yep
... It is the situations where you are still rolling slightly that can be tricky. You either need to stay fast enough so it doesn't get into the downchange zone, or manually changedown to 1st (remember it may need to be the lever as the paddles don't function below about 10km/h).
i was about to just asking for this in a new thread ... i really begin to question myself some times.

i have a 156 2.0 TS ...
in Bangkok city .. speeds between 0 and 25 Km/h are at many places very normal, well since i change from Mazda 3 Manual to 156 Selespeed i really enjoy diving longer ways where its more free and more enjoyable to drive.

however .. its not always possible ... at speeds specially between 15 and 25km/h i sometime really wish to have a Clutch Pedal back.

i use do switch to Neutral all the time (never use City mode, only excuse for city more is drinking coffee or reading newspaper ;-) )

changing back up normally goes very well .. but if the speed is by about 20, the selespeed select Gear 3 or 2 .. and its jerks Really seriously.

also driving constant in traffic with about 15-25 km/h is not really possible.

keeping in the 1st gear is a solution ... but breaking again requires to switch back to Neutral all the time if i dont want it to jerk ....

well the car is now 10 years old .. and the last Real Alfa Service was 25.000Km and 2 Years Ago, Calibration may the solution ??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts