Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many happy years with my 1999 156 sele I am now victim of the selespeed gremlin , yesterday it skipped 4th gear and went from 3 to 5 ... in City mode the same story. Next saturday my brother will hook up Examiner and do a recalibrate, but he fears that a part inside the gearbox is broken, a weak point in the 156 gearbox. Because of the high pressure gears are changed this little ear in the box which support the rod that changes the gear is most possibly the culprit.
Meaning: a new gear box house .. 14 hours work + enormous costs .... pray for me and my poor 156 please. Actually it is not a sele speed problem but a weak point in the 156 gear box. A part in the box cannot cope with the power with which the sele actuator rams the gears in place.

to be continued

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ! indeed there is a modified casting, all 147's sele have it standard.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Top man rarebear, you couldn't have given me a better Christmas present, by saying that, seriously.:): I hope you get yours fixed soon, and are back flicking paddles with the rest of us paddle flickers.:):

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing beats us, the paddle shifters !!!

Merry Christmas to all !!

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just did a re-calibrate/re-learn on the Examiner.... no joy ! selespeed components, pressures, voltage etc all OK it is definitively a gearbox hardware problem :-{

p.s. just got a parking ticket (forgot my blue card) 50 euros thank you.. it never rains but it pours ! winter has started for me.....

to be continued

·
Registered
345 Posts
If its any consolation I have been talking to a fleet manager and they have had a 50% failure rate on there HGV fleet equipped with a remarkably similar set up to the selespeed for precisely the same reason

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Lotgrace, I know these statistics (brother works in Alfa dealership) many cars with robotized gearboxes suffer malfunctions, but it hurts if yours is joining the statistics. Moreover, Alfa should have made adaptions in the gearbox housing of the Selespeed models long ago... they always wait till the number of complaints rise above pain level. (as was the case with tension failures on the twinnies)
At the moment I am in a serious debate with myself, repair (1000+ ukp) or trade in for a GT... and take the depreciation for a broken 156.

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
Thanks Lotgrace, I know these statistics (brother works in Alfa dealership) many cars with robotized gearboxes suffer malfunctions, but it hurts if yours is joining the statistics. Moreover, Alfa should have made adaptions in the gearbox housing of the Selespeed models long ago... they always wait till the number of complaints rise above pain level. (as was the case with tension failures on the twinnies)
At the moment I am in a serious debate with myself, repair (1000+ ukp) or trade in for a GT... and take the depreciation for a broken 156.
We should get some sort of a petition going on AO about the selespeed gremlins and failures that have failed and left many people out of pocket , and send it to them . The sele system has been around a fair few years now , and by the number of replacment parts Alfa has sold for it surely they should have twigged something was not quite right.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AMAZING ! this afternoon (17 dec) I shifted back from 5th and what happened ??? it shifted to 4th and to 3th... did it several times and it worked as if it never stopped >>> did some trashing with the car, high revs which forces the Selespeed to shift gears automatically check with engine stopped but system on it shifts with the joystick up and down check, completely flabbergasted am I...
will keep you informed.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to see if it keeps working, something inside the box must have been wrong, maybe a broken piece jammed the axel that shifts 3 and 4.... so I have a jitter jitter heart the coming days...

to be continued...:xmas:

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
still works (wednesday 19)........ 4th gear must have taken a short break...:xmas:

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't let anyone tell you that selespeed is a bad thing

ROGER THAT !!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts