Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 156 JTS TI Selespeed. As the title says, it intermittently goes into Neutral while driving along, and will also jump from 2nd to 4th when in City mode when it shouldn't, as the speed isn't great enough to justify 4th. This incorrect change is also very prolonged, and there's like a no man's land where the gearbox isn't doing anything and revs drop during the change (the change from 2nd to 4th takes around 4-5 secs). The car has also jumped out of city mode completely, but only done this a couple of times since owning it for around 3-4 months.

Upon advice from an Alfa mechanic who monitored the system, we've had the accumulator changed. This didn't improve the problem.

Can anybody shed any more light on why this is happening, and how to fix? It is extremely annoying, and very disconcerting driving it like this.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
1. What is the pressure in the system ? does it fluctuate ?
2. did your man check the sensors ?
3. what is the clutch rod length ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was just checked via software/cable. Machine was hooked up and showed a graph which was displaying pressure dropping at a fairly rapid rate. It was advised that pressure shouldn't be dropping so quickly, and accumlator was likely to be the problem. I ordered an accumulator and had it installed, but the problem with neutral and 2 - 4 gear change is as bad as ever.

I'm not sure what the clutch rod length is - how/where do I measure

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
there is an option in the test list on your screen, select that, length should be 28 28,5

S

·
0 Posts
My sele suffered near identical issues, in my case it was the pump that was shot, it wasn't building pressure fast enough to keep up with demand. Both Alfa diag and fiat ecu scan can do the clutch adjustment measuring and the calibration routines.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
If its the pump (and I back up Andy) and you are a bit handy, you can refurbish the pump,
Clean the collector and put in new brushes, I use brushes from the wipermotor of an Audi.
A new pump is expensive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks. I'll check the clutch measurement out. Where is the option under fiat ecu scan?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump :thumbs:

- how do I test the clutch measurement using fiat ecu scan? Couldn't find the option. Do I need the full version?

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm now hoping for some more advice on the next step to take in this prolonged selespeed debacle... I really don't want to have to get rid of this car as it's had new tyres, a new battery, a new accumulator, new timing belt, service and tune. The rest of the car is fine. The darn thing just misses 3rd every now and again (usually under light acceleration after taking off), and more problematic is that it'll jump out of gear into N, then when shifting back to a gear from N (which seems to always be 4th), it'll crunch a bit.

So far we've replaced the accumulator, measured the clutch rod length (which is within spec), and re-calibrated the system. Is there anything else that can be suggested?? Would it be worth replacing the pump just to cancel that out as being a problem? I'm sure it would have been tested and pressure indicated ok, but could a faulty pump fluctuate the pressure during real world driving situations?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
If it is any help, in my case it was a broken tooth in the dif, ended up by replacing the
gearbox with one of a breaker...a lot of work but it worked a treat
(a new diff was 800 euro, the gearbox was 350...)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes - definitely getting ugly when talking about internals.....

I've had the dealer advise it could be

- fingers on the clutch plate
- syncro on the gearbox
- actuator

...all of which spell $$$ to fix.

The car has done 60,000 miles. What a shame.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just thought I'd update this thread in case anybody is looking for possible fixes..

Get the full version of fiatecuscan, and run the final calibration on the Adjustments tab. The gearbox is shifting better than it ever has, and there hasn't been a missed gear for some time, or any going into neutral.

First time I ran it, it failed with an error that stated pressure was too low.

Second time I tried it and it got through to the end of the routine, with all ok.

Touch wood, this has actually fixed my selespeed, and the car is again in the good books.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
gdaf ! congrats ! saved you a lot of bucks and grief .... happy for you !:thumbs:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts