Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Where did you read out the engine temp? Check if you get the roughly the same temp reading in Alfadiag and the gauge.

Just a theory, but you might have a intermittent sticky accumulator which gets worse at higher temps. Does the red selespeed light illuminate when the gear lock happens?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Alfadiag has it's own depressurize accumulator routine or you could remove the fuse/disconnect the pump and make a few gear changes to lower the pressure. You should find some info on removing the accumulator and draining the system if you search around. Should be pretty straight forward job to just unscrew it from the actuator once you have removed the support bracket. Look for the black bulb shaped thing.

I wouldn't be too eager with draining the actuator completely, just empty the reservoir with a syringe and disconnect the hoses and fill it up again. There's a bleeding screw on the actuator-side return line to the reservoir. You might have to drain it a couple of times (with a lot of gear changes in between) to get most of the old gunk out. Complete draining of the actuator unit would require special tools. I hope you only plan to put CS Speed in it.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
generally the sign the accumulator is not working is when the pressure is not within the set parameters (IIRC 45-54 bar), so, if it is operating within that band the accumulator can be discounted. The accumulator tends to get a bit 'tired' rather than breaking.

Reconnect the pump last of all, when everything else is bolted up, and then re-check the oil as it gets pumped through the system.

Is the GTA system the same as the TS? it's a rare car here in the UK, only 11 registered!

·
Registered
450 Posts
The bleeding screw will just release the pressure back to the reservoir, so you only need to loosen it while the pump is running. Don't change gears before the system is bleed to prevent air bubbles on the wrong side of the EVs.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I had a problem with Gear Selection Error in 5th. When the car was HOT [more than 60] and selected 5th gear, an error was coming up. when i was selecting a different gear, the error was coming off. this was always occuring when selecting 5th gear or Reverse in more than 60 Celsius temp.

The problem was a TPS sensor [gear position sensor] on the actuator. I changed the TPS and the problem solved. im assuming you might have the same problem with the Gear Position Sensor [1 of the 3 TPS] that the seleseed box has. I think its the same condition as above, but yours is affecting the actual gear change, not just an error like the selection. Have you checked for selespeed codes? btw the sensor is around 45 gbp. easy fix.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ive been having similar problems with my 156 GTA selespeed.

I can't offer much of a solution yet, as when I feel I have the problem fixed, it reappears.

Started with being stuck in second gear. tow truck to dealer - fix was the 'proper' selespeed oil put in.

Two weeks later, stuck in second on the motorway again. Another tow truck, this time a brake switch fault, the selespeed wont change gear as it thinks the brakes are on.

Three weeks later, stuck in second again on motorway. Hissy fit thrown at dealer, who only seem to rely on (unreliable ?) fault codes. After prompting from me to check the running temperature, they found that only one fan was working and that it needed a new radiator.

Three months later ( a few days ago) stuck in sixth on the motorway. twice. Maybe I should avoid motorways. Restarted fine, but a hassle to do this while cars are piled up behind me. I am waiting for a new radiator expansion tank and it could be linked to the lack of pressure in the system.

So your problem could well be linked to your higher operating temp, although 4th seems a strange gear to be stuck in, normally the limp home mode is 2nd gear? Might also pay to check out the GTA section of this forum. A few people have commented on heat effecting their gear changing and possible linked to needing to clean the selespeed wiring connectors.

The good news is that none of these problems seem to indicate an expensive gearbox problem!

Personally I have found the fault codes to be unreliable if there is a temperature problem.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've still got my problem with getting stuck in gear -but only when the car is hot, never when it is cold/warm any ideas anyone?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts