Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dear all

i own an alfa romeo GT 2005 selespeed 2.0, recently its been on my nerves as i had a failure signal on the dash, the car makes a loud beep and it says selespeed system failure.

the gear got stuck in first wouldnt change then it disengaged to neutral and refused to start the engine when i turned the key off and tried back on

i contacted the garage service came to inspect it and told me that the selespeed pump is broken and need replacement.

done that succesfully and in 2 days after it got out the same problem occured and now its back to the garage.

what had happened in both cases is that the car wouldnt start at all as the gear is on neutral.

any suggestions please.

do note that im in tripoli libya and the main service dealer is closed due to the recent war here

Regards

·
Registered
450 Posts
Maybe it was just a faulty relay. You could swap them around once you manage to locate it.

The cause for the worn pump could also be due to a faulty accumulator, they usually starts failing after 80.000kms. The pressure readings should be smooth and the pump should only prime after 2-3 gear changes.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Maybe it was just a faulty relay. You could swap them around once you manage to locate it.

The cause for the worn pump could also be due to a faulty accumulator, they usually starts failing after 80.000kms. The pressure readings should be smooth and the pump should only prime after 2-3 gear changes.
I;d agree that these symptoms would suggest a faulty accumulator but to say that they fail after approx 80,000 Km is folly, you cannot state that they have a lifespan like that as it is dependant on the ability of the servicing garage to adjust the system and to ensure that it's kept within tolerances. These accumulators have failed at various ages from as little as 10 miles through to outliving the car at 200,000, too this end though I'd replace the accumulator and if you google "selespeed accumulator change" then you'll find great guide on how to do this task.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I;d agree that these symptoms would suggest a faulty accumulator but to say that they fail after approx 80,000 Km is folly, you cannot state that they have a lifespan like that as it is dependant on the ability of the servicing garage to adjust the system and to ensure that it's kept within tolerances.
Could you elaborate more on these "adjustments"? I base my figures on personal experience and what i've picked up on the forums over several years. The most critical factors influencing the lifespan of a rubber bladder would IMO be normal wear/usage (driving length gives some indication) and aging of the material as long as it is not mistreated by using the wrong hydraulic fluid. AFAIK the most common cause of overpressurization of the circuit would be the failing of the accumulator itself. There will always be extremes...

·
Registered
440 Posts
There are many failures that don't need the replacement of the selespeed unit but it seems "easier" for the dealer/garage to replace it because it is the owner that pays for it.
In your case since the unit was replaced...
Is the reservoir ball a new one or was it changed over from the old unit ?
Did the garage calibrated the clutch ?
Check connection to the selespeed unit
Check control relay ( normaly is close to the unit together with connector on battery tray)
Check is pump motor is working properly.
Do you have any diagnostic tool (Alfa diag/Fiat Ecu Scan) ?

Good luck
Ric

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all for your advice

so far yes its been diagnosed by alfa scan but i have no idea which version, its now sitting at the garage hoping whats wrong.

ill see if the accumulator is faulty, i dont think there is an issue with the relay so far but ill ask

will get back to you guys

thx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts