Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i finally got Alfadiag working and i started trying a few things to diagnose why the 147 is stuck in Neutral and wont select any gears.

Now sometimes when you put the ignition on it wont let you even start the engine and says "selespeed system failure" and sometimes it doesnt and you can start.

There are no error codes on the engine or selespeed ECU's... all of the actuator functions seem to work fine, and the hydrailic pressure is around 45-50 bar...

I dont know what the problem is or how i can use Alfadiag to show me what it could be... anything in particular i can check? it seems as if everything im seeing in Alfadiag is normal...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i also tried to run the AutoAdjustment EOL/Service routine and it stopped after about 2 seconds and says:

Routine Result: 0xd
Routine Failed
Routine Complete.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
can you start the engine with Alfadiag engaged ? for whatever mysterious reason it then runs the EOL service OK ! (at least on my Selespeed)

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
It usually needs the engine warm for it to run through the EOL calibration.

So that could be an issue if your engine won't start...!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
engine is warm... tried it with the car running came up with:

Routine Result: 0xc
Routine Failed
Routine Complete.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there also is some mechanical noise... sounds something wrong with the clutch release bearing or clutch cover. is there any way i can check the release mechanism?

assuming everything is fine electrically, what goes wrong with these mechanically??

D

·
0 Posts
Have you tried this thread http://http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/59454-selespeed-info.html[/URL]

Maybe someone will be along shortly with more info/experience with s/speeds but I think there can be a problem with release bearing wearing as it is constantly under pressure in the selespeed afik

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah thanks ive looked through a lot of that...

is there anything in alfadiag that i could check that could pinpoint a mechanical problem? im tempted to pull the box out just to have a look at the clutch condition, since there seems to be a lot of noise coming from around that area.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
for me it is a broken clutch release bearing (been there done that) see my pics how the bearing looked when I got it out..... completely shot ! and it made one hell of a noise before it finally collapsed.
And even Examiner could not see the error... because it is pure and simple mechanical and nothing electronically...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same 0xd fault and symptoms except I don't have any clutch noise. Can go through all the actuators individually but as soon as you go to the AOL Service it comes up with 0xd and have no fault codes stored. Have you managed to resolve what it is? :confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i pulled the box out and found the release bearing was destroyed... replaced it and the clutch and all the calibration routines completed successfully without any errors.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
also half of the release bearing is made from plastic. at some point the bearing seized up and produced enough heat from the friction to melt the plastic and totally detroy the bearing assembly.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
same for me ! why they make an assembly for such a crucial part from plastic is beyond me !!! its the same story as some years ago with the cambelt tensioner with plastic wheels which disintegrated...
will they ever learn ???

see how the bearing looked !!! no Calibration routine can fix that !!!!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
if it fails with 2 seconds to me that would indicate that the pump ain;t running or the pressur eis too low

go to sensors & check pressure

then go to actuators & try operate the pump, then odd gears, even gears, hi selector, low selector

if these work then the problem lies withing one of the 3 sensors or the wiring loom.

NOTE the battery MUST BE 100% CHARGED/good to run this functions... if not it'll hang as if its doing something but its not.....

only when you are happy that the pump works, the pressur eof 45bar to 55 bar is acheivable, 100% charge battery, all the operation of the various solenoids work THEN attmept a ccalibration

NOTE2: under CALIBRATION press the New Actuator button, this ignores/erases any old calibraitons & allows a 'new' actuator to be claibrated .... i know its not new but trust me, it does help.

if all the previous is ok & it fails after pressing New Actuator, EOL Calibration, then its a SENSOR issue

·
Registered
8 Posts
The oxd fault is from my experience to do with the clutch rod being out of adjustment.

On my 147 selespeed it was due to the thrust bearing, like the picture it had melted and also warn through the fingers on the pressure plate. The alfadiag then couldnt do the calibration sequence and would finish after a few seconds and come up with the error code. If your thrust bearing looks like this when you take it apart then also change the metal sleeve with the oil seal built into it that the thrust bearing slides on (surrounding the input shaft on the gearbox) reason being the thrust bearing failing gets it that hot it damages the oil seal. When you then put it all back together it then leaks gearbox oil!

I have also come across the same error code on a 156 selespeed, after replacing a clutch, the clutch push rod had been adjusted so far out it was no where near the 40mm travel, this car incidently had trouble selecting gears before but wasn't producing the Oxd error code before the new clutch.

Not all the clutchs come with the thrust bearing in the kit (I think the genuine alfa kit is also like this) you have to buy it seperately, so if your car had a clutch fitted did they fit a replacement thrust bearing at that time?

J

·
0 Posts
same for me ! why they make an assembly for such a crucial part from plastic is beyond me !!! its the same story as some years ago with the cambelt tensioner with plastic wheels which disintegrated...
will they ever learn ???

see how the bearing looked !!! no Calibration routine can fix that !!!!
i'm expecting mine to look like that, sounds like i have a supercharger under the bonnet currently....

I need it to hold out for a few weeks more though, and i have noticed it is sometimes struggling to select reverse now :cry:

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
i'm expecting mine to look like that, sounds like i have a supercharger under the bonnet currently....

I need it to hold out for a few weeks more though, and i have noticed it is sometimes struggling to select reverse now :cry:
DON"T take that risk !!! I did that and I stranded in a traffic jam in
2nd gear with engine out... you know what that means don't ye ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts