Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a non running stuck in gear sele, should be an easy repair, however I cannot remove the 12mm plug to allow me to get the thing out of gear and only my drive. I have now tried to remove the entire actuator The three allen bolts are all out but I cannot seem to remove it from the gear selector at the back, comes up so far then gets stuck.

Any ideas chaps?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
to take the selector out of the box it will need to be in neutral mate am afraid, would it not shift even with the engine off? pump should prime when you open drivers side door?

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It hasn't even got the correct battery in it, so no!

bought it as a project, it is basically a nice car, but the guy I bought it off did not know anything about sillys, and his garage were clueless.

I now have it safely on the drive, I took the spark plugs out so there was no compression stopping it from moving.

So now to put it back together, with a new battery and the new sele pump that was in the boot and see if it goes. It may also be the accumulator, we'll see.

There was even a used actuator on the boot too, as well and a new Alfa cambelt kit, lots of history all for £350, downside is needs two tyres and it has a stupid exhaust on it. But thats it. Bargain I think.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Matthew,

Happy New Year

luckily my neighbour likes having a car on the drive as it gives the impression someone is at home when she is out, and I am happy to oblige :lol:

will not be for long, hopefully I will turn a decent profit and save an decent Alfa from mistreatment

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Sounds like an utter bargain to me. If you have the time and know how, good on you!

Happy New Year to yourself. Glad to see you are starting this year as you finished the last!

D

·
0 Posts
isnt there 4 bolts in total or is my memory playing up ?
3 on top and one at the side - been a while since i did mt 147 right enough

You might also be able to get it into neutral by taking gearbox end plate off

L

·
0 Posts
you need to drop the front LHS gear box mount by 2 or 3 inches. then there is an 8mm allen headed bung that needs to be removed form the side of the actuator. Once removed their is a 6mm allen headed bolt that holds the 'eye' of the actuators selector onto the gear box shaft. In theory that bolt needs to be replaced & not re-used.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
you need to drop the front LHS gear box mount by 2 or 3 inches. then there is an 8mm allen headed bung that needs to be removed form the side of the actuator. Once removed their is a 6mm allen headed bolt that holds the 'eye' of the actuators selector onto the gear box shaft. In theory that bolt needs to be replaced & not re-used.
Exactly right ! Its a so-called pinch bolt, sometimes a real nightmare to get out !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts