Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car started with no problems this morning, but there wasn't the usually whirring of the selespeed when the drivers door was opened.

The gear selector displays N, city mode will not engage, and no gear can be selected, with the stick or paddles, whether the car is running or not.

There is absolutely no noise coming from the gear box, it's doesn't even try to select a gear.

There is no selespeed warning lights, or any other warning lights.

Up until this point the selespeed has been working fine, except for occasional bunny hopping pulling off in first.

Any ideas what could be wrong, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
If there is no whirl when you open the driver door, it may mean that the hydraulic pump has failed.
Without pressure, the Selespeed cannot change gear at all.

I have had my pump get stuck on its own just two weeks ago. It was solved (probably only temporary) by giving the pump a light tap with a spanner.
Apart from that don't really know what you can do :(

·
Registered
82 Posts
The pump not working is a commonly reported problem with the Selespeed; search the forum, there is plenty of info.
Causes may include:
Pump brushes worn; sometimes banging the pump smartly with a hammer may bring it back to life; not too hard though or you may damage it beyond retrieval.
Relay stuck; it's located in front of the battery, usually closest to the engine; is a black 50A relay; try swapping it wit the other 50A relay which is for the high speed fan.
Fuse; there is a 50A fuse for the pump circuit; I'm not absolutely certain, but I think it may be in the fuse box on top of the battery.
Corrosion; try unplugging the relay and replugging, this can clean the contacts; same with the pump.

If you are not hearing the pump prime when you open the door, these are the most likely suspects.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I want to see e same things as drayco....
Go for the relay and fuse first !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help.
Hopefully there's life in the old girl yet, (a new pump + labour it probably worth more than the car)

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Don't buy a pump without checking that its getting power to it first! And there are plenty of second-hand pumps around under £100 if you do need one.....fitting isn't a major job ;)

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
if you get at the pump, try to put power on it from an external battery and see if it responds

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: went out to the car today, to find the pump primed on opening the door.

Took it out for a spin, with no problems at all, until trying to select reverse, at which point it went dead again (although it did starting working after a restart)

Is it safe to assume the pumps on the way out, or could it still be the electrics?

Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have just bought one and i am waiting for a manual to up.
So far have not got anything to refer to.

Can someone please send me a pic of the location of the fuse and the relay location?
[email protected]

Are they near the Bitron relays

·
Registered
269 Posts
Rarebear,
you do cables for fault clearing?

Will they suit,FR704 Autel MaxiDiag OBD2 Diagnostic scanner OBDII
What about software?
The software i have is for Peugeot/Citroens.
Will the dash/code faults impair the gearbox functioning?

[email protected]

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
You need multiecuscan and a KKL cable , I have a batch of faulty cables with the wrong chipset, you need a FTDI chipset. Have them on order, can take a week or so

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
MES you can download already from multiecuscan.net and the driver ftdichip.com go for the VCP driver
Cables are coming

·
Registered
269 Posts
Alfa Singh,
"Remove all relays and plug connection to the selespeed/gbox.spray with proper switch cleaner.It worked for me "

Seems this is a problem area?
If you shut the bonnet hard on my car the pump comes on!
Will investigate during the week ,relays or wiring , something is wrong.

·
Registered
269 Posts
AlfaSpiderBoy,
"When the level goes below a certain point the System will shut down."

*How does the system detect low fluid level.

* Does this overide the pump activation when the door is opened?

*In an emergency what can you top up with?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Well if enough fluid leaks out it will certainly stop working. Not certain if there is any detection of levels though.

What can you top up with? Tutela CS Speed. Not sure where you are in the world, but I have 2 or 3 half bottles sitting in the garage, so if you can, pop round and I'll top it up. Alternatively, buy a bottle from your local Fiat/Alfa dealer.

·
Registered
269 Posts
"Alternatively, buy a bottle from your local Fiat/Alfa dealer. "
Thnks for the kind thought.
In Australia in the bush , nearest workshop that might sell Tutela is 250klms away.
Noticed the fluid drops a little when it runs so need to top-up.

*How do you recognize the fluid , what colour?
Fluid in the car is almost clear or very light apricot.

Will get some mailed to me .

·
Registered
930 Posts
I personally wouldn't do it, but you can use any dextron 3 fluid and many here who know far more than me happily do so without any problems at all. Just make sure you properly flush the system so that there is no fluid mix.

Given your location, I think you'd be justified in going outside of the box.

EDIT: Sorry, just reread your post - if you are only topping up.. you MUST use CS speed - assuming that's whats already in it of course.. If you want to use a different brand you will have to do a full system flush.

CS Speed is a clear, very light apricot like what you have there - but so are many others..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts