Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, have read for hours but still have several questions... 2001 sports wagon 2lt twinspark selespeed. when hot , losing drive, skipping 2nd on way up, finds third, drops back into 2nd, looses reverse....etc. Have downloaded Fiatecuscan I have got the full paid version, and bought a KKLcom lead with the four position microswitch. Connected to diagnostics port in car and tonight successfully interogated engine ecu.

I have read all the threads I can find. (tomorrow aiming to adj clutch "Actuator position" to 28.25 (cold) after tightening locknut expecting to get 28.3 so when transmission is hot expanding to 28.5!!! Info from reading comments in Smackys thread on topic)

Question...do i use the diagnostic 16 pin plug on the main fuse board behind the panel between the steering wheel and the drivers door? or is there another one in the passenger footwell for the Selespeed ECU????

If its the diagnostics plug i have found and read the engine ECU with...do i just use the TARGET ECU list and select CFC208F (Neither of which ive seen yet?)

My confusion stems from reading so many different threads and the fact that Smacky's thread refers to using Alfadiag not FiatECUScan.

Any help would be gratefully received I'm hoping its not a sensor failure..I'm sure this will show when I eventually get into the SELEspeed ECU.

Thanks Andrew.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
We used the 16 pin obd socket under the dash for my mate's 147, along with same cable and fes, cleared old codes no problem, can't confirm it's the same on 156 though.

L

·
0 Posts
yes thats the connector, use FES, select '02 156 Selespeed, then select the CFC208F option, then goto sensors. Select the 'clutch rod' option.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, done, test drived seems okay...a few notes for others considering this...removing battery tray was okay, wiring harnesses gets in the way of reaching the dust cover which thankfully didnt tear when I moved it onto the arm, it was frustrating trying to adjust the 19mm nut with a long spanner and I found that the lock nut was half rounded off and difficult to advance up the thread to break the lock. It took a while to realise that If you grip the whole assembly and wiggle it you can see the digital display go all over the shop, I adjusted it to 28.4 by making sure the lever was held towards the gearbox made the gross adjustment and then adjusted the 19mm nut about a 1/4 turn which made a lot of difference when you are aiming for tenth on a mm. During this fine tweakl the lock nut was reasonably tight and locking it off made little difference to the final figure. (Before we started it measured 29.48mm) I did all the work when the car and transmission was cold, the clutch is now set for 28.4 In the FiatECUScan software the heading needed was "Clutch Pressure Plate Travel" and for my car the Selespeed ECU was accessed through the fusebox 16pin diagnostics OBD port, and it was 02 Selespeed CFC208F which was the only option. The end of line test ran with out incident and completed sucessfully first time around. Lets hope its all fixed now!!! NB Windows 7 loaded all the device drivers after getting automatic updates and it told me it was on COM12 without messing around looking for it in device manager, so it was easy. It was worth having the fully paid of FES because you don't put yourself under time pressure and you know you have access to the full functionality of the software it cost £44. When this happened earlier in the year the garage ran the end of line test to reset limits and charged me about £60 and didnt even mention adjusting the length of the clutch rod. The end of line test then failed because of a weak battery, I charged mine overnight off the car to ensure it would complete the End of line test. (Alfa's HATE weak batteries) Hope this helps someone in the future. Andrew.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts