Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do all selespeeds make a clunking noise when 1st gear is selected? Its most noticeable in traffic when it changes from 2nd to 1st gear. Its made the noise from new and my local fiat dealer changed the actuator under warranty but it made no difference. Advice much appreciated.

J

·
0 Posts
What kind of clunk?

A light clunk like the meshing of lightly oiled precision or a meaty CLUNK like the clutch is not fully depressed and hence there is resistance in the gearbox?

All Selespeeds make a light clunk but you will not normally hear it unless the windows are down and it is IMHO just the gearchange operating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses. Its quite a noticeable clunk. Sometimes quite soft (told was normal by dealer) but other times really clunky with slight vibration felt.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Sounds exactly like mine. Sometimes it selects first with no noise, sometimes a slight clunk and sometimes with a loud clunk and slight movement of the car.

I've had the car for 3 years and assumed it to be normal. The cars computer is not that good at knowing when to use the clutch.

·
0 Posts
Mine is perfectly clunky, light soft clunks, no vibrations and no movement. Just clunk, clunk, clunk. Geezzzz I love that car. Going down to listen to the clunks now.

J

·
0 Posts
I also IMHO believe it is just a clumsy computer and actuator or the software. The fact that the dealer replaced the actuator suggests he thought it might have been the clutch not disengaging fully. If that is so then gearbox damage will result.
Aston Martins and Ferraris with similair systems are renowned for burning out their clutches. Has anyone had such clutch problems with a Selespeed?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I hear those annoying clunk when engaging first or reverse from neutral, but never from 2nd to 1st. As Pascs said, it's always there. But if there's movement to the car (every time), that may not be a good sign. That could be the gears grinding. frown

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From the various replies it would seem that this clunk on selecting 1st gear is quite common. Would be nice to hear if problems with clutch burning out are common in the selespeed.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Dazzle,

I read an Alfa info pack once that stated a selespeed clutch should last longer than the standard manual as the system doesn't ride the clutch or hold the car on the clutch like a normal person does with a manual.

I have heard about the problems with the Ferrari, Maserati and Aston's but its an altogether different problem for the electronics to balance 400bhp or the torque of a V12 Aston. In these situations perhaps a good driver can balance the power and clutch better than being on and off the throttle all the time in slow moving traffic with the clutchless sequential manual systems.

Lee

1 - 11 of 11 Posts