Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you detach the Selespeed pack/solenoids etc and tie it up, leaving it in place in the engine bay and take the gear box out.
Then when re-fitting the gearbox slip it down onto the gear box?

My one has a faulty 3rd gear that makes a terrible noise and pops out of gear.
It has been said the selector casing fatigues and cracks , so it won't go into gear.
Anyone had this ?

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Can you detach the Selespeed pack/solenoids etc and tie it up, leaving it in place in the engine bay and take the gear box out.
Then when re-fitting the gearbox slip it down onto the gear box?
Yes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you seen the gearbox casing failures along the selector shaft area?
Mighty noisy, not syncro noise just crashes into gear....then more recently pops out.
All other gears fine.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Have you seen the gearbox casing failures along the selector shaft area?
Mighty noisy, not syncro noise just crashes into gear....then more recently pops out.
All other gears fine.
Yes, mine went in 2005.
Replaced with a new exchange gearbox.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been using it without 3rd gear, country driving
Do you remember if it got so bad you had to avoid 3rd gear because it wouldn't stay in?
Did it produce any actuator faults ?

*When you replaced the gearbox did you use your old actuator?

Plan to put the new box in next week but wonder if i should use the old actuator .

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Mine was dropping straight out of 1st gear.
The problem started suddenly and from what I can remember (it was 11 years ago!) there was no prior warning.
I was driving through a small village only about a mile from my destination, went to select 1st to pull away in a queue of traffic and it wasn't having it. Managed to get it moving enough to get to a wider section so I could park without causing gridlock then called a friend for a tow. I may have quickly got it to 2nd, but it is too long ago to remember the exact detail, but thinking now it did it a few times earlier in the village before I finally gave up and parked it.

The actuator was fine. It was fitted on to the new gearbox.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine was dropping straight out of 1st gear.
The problem started suddenly and from what I can remember (it was 11 years ago!) there was no prior warning.
I was driving through a small village only about a mile from my destination, went to select 1st to pull away in a queue of traffic and it wasn't having it. Managed to get it moving enough to get to a wider section so I could park without causing gridlock then called a friend for a tow. I may have quickly got it to 2nd, but it is too long ago to remember the exact detail, but thinking now it did it a few times earlier in the village before I finally gave up and parked it.

The actuator was fine. It was fitted on to the new gearbox.
Just got back from a long trip today, tired.
Thinking about your comments.

If the gear box casing is damaged would this show up as as a dash board message in that it won't select gears properly.

Selector position must relate to the gear selection indicator on the dash?

Meaning that until you fit a correctly working gearbox you wouldn't know if the actuator was faulty as well?

Thanks.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
If the gear box casing is damaged would this show up as as a dash board message in that it won't select gears properly.
Probably not.
Mine didn't.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In your case there would be no 1st gear display or 2nd gear if you had tried to select 2nd or perhaps flashing to blank?

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
In your case there would be no 1st gear display or 2nd gear if you had tried to select 2nd or perhaps flashing to blank?
It was a long time ago and a lot of info has gone into my head in that time, so detail memories of this are locked away very deep in long term storage!! :read:
The location I was in at the time was very tight and there was more than a little panic that I was about to be completely stuck and cause gridlock in the town, so can't remember exactly what the gear indicator was saying. I was just relieved that I could make it to a wider bit of road and roll backwards into a parking spot out of the way of the bus that was trying to get through...

But 100% there were no errors or issues logged in the ECU or when it was tested afterwards during testing to find the cause. Which after discussion with techie friends at Alfa took us to the gear casing issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts