Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just wondering if there are any alternatives to using the Tutela CS speed and technyx oils... i read on another thread that you could use Castrol Transmax Z (full synthetic ATF) for the selespeed oil and Castrol Syntrax (full synthetic 75w90) in the box. can anyone confirm or suggest anything else?

Also is there any particular bleeding procedure for the selespeed actuator, or can you just open the bleed when the pump is running (ie, ignition on)

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
Castrol Transmax Z is a D3 spec synthetic, so should be fine for the Selespeed system.

Castrol Syntrax is a semi-synthetic GL5 spec. It would be ok, but a full synth is recommended.

There is a bleeding procedure and you need the Examiner to do it (AlfaDiag can also do it)

I've been using Redline D4 ATF in the Selespeed system and Redline 75W90NS in the gearbox.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Dexron three classification for the Sele pump, so if Tranmax meets this requirement? GL five fully synthetic, I put in our Seles' transmission, which worked fine.:):

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i thought the Transmax Z was a D4 synthetic ATF, and im sure the Syntrax was a full synthetic as well...

so if i wanted to change the actuator fluid i have to run this bleeding procedure? is there any manual way of doing it, like bleeding the AYC/ACD in Mitsubishi EVO?

actually i just checked, the Transmax Z is only D3 spec...

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
There is only 0.6L of fluid in the Selespeed system and when it has rested overnight most of that will be in the reservoir. So if you empty that by removing its outlet pipe, reconnect, refill. Run for a while then repeat. You will have changed the fluid.

You need to disconnect the electrical connection to the pump before letting it rest overnight, otherwise the pump will run as soon as you open the door!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks for that...

typically does the selespeed fluid ever need to be changed or just topped up?

also do you know if a replacement clutch kit is the same as the non-selespeed model?

V

·
0 Posts
While this topic is hot, may I butt in and ask if after having a Q2 diff. fitted, that 75W-90 fully synthetic would still be suitable in the gearbox?

Thanks! ;o)

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
typically does the selespeed fluid ever need to be changed or just topped up?
usually just topped up.

also do you know if a replacement clutch kit is the same as the non-selespeed model?
no
you also need to order a release bearing, which isn't usually included with the clutch.

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
While this topic is hot, may I butt in and ask if after having a Q2 diff. fitted, that 75W-90 fully synthetic would still be suitable in the gearbox?
should be fine.

oil type only realy becomes an issue when plate type diffs are used.

With a Torsen type diff, the std spec oil will be fine.

V

·
0 Posts
should be fine.

oil type only realy becomes an issue when plate type diffs are used.

With a Torsen type diff, the std spec oil will be fine.
Specifically which Redline gearbox oil would you recommend, David?

There are various fully-synthetic Redline oils of the correct viscosity but with or without 'friction modifiers', and some purporting to be better for the synchros in the box etc.

Thanks ;)

·
Registered
30,167 Posts
Specifically which Redline gearbox oil would you recommend, David?

There are various fully-synthetic Redline oils of the correct viscosity but with or without 'friction modifiers', and some purporting to be better for the synchros in the box etc.
I've been using their "75W90NS" for years in my Selespeed.
They recommended it for synchro boxes.
(we have also used it in a 156 Supertourer X-Trac sequential box)

They usually respond to technical queries so you can check with them is they recommend that or something else for road going synchro boxes with Torsen/Quaiffe type diffs.

V

·
0 Posts
I spoke with a knowledgeable chap there called Lee today for a good 15mins and he said although Alfa now specify a 75W-80 GL-5 spec oil, the most suitable oil for the 156 gearbox from a long-term wear and synchromesh health point of view is actually their MTL 70W-80, which is a GL-4 spec oil (I also explained that I was having a Torsen diff fitted).

So I bought some and it's going in on Thursday, along with the Q2! The only thing with Redline is that being made in the USA, it comes in quarts rather than litres, so to be on the safe side I had to buy 3 bottles and not 2 (a US quart is 0.94 litres and the 156 6-spd box needs 2 litres).

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
sORRY TO BRING THIS SUBJECT UP BUT NOTICED WHERE ITS GOING AND IT WAS ON TO OILS FOR THE MECHANICAL GEARBOX , AND THE Q WAS ABOUT SELESePEED UNIT? (Sorry caps again).
I have had great diffiulty in anyone up here willing to put their life on oil specs so had to order tutela from CP Garage services to complete a project. I have to say that there should be a comparitive oil table for folks to make up there own mind about alternatives. I went to a Fiat garage to try an buy Tutela CS and the interim service manager say its a 75/90 they use , so I went to a stockist on a recommended list of locals and they produced this oil by Fuchs but it said 75/90 and semi synthetic , suitable for use with all manual gearboxes, wow I said ,can you look up the spec recommended by the oil company for selespeed , he said thats it ,but it was semi- synthetic, so then an ATF Dexron three was produced and then lost confidence as I could not say nor could they say what was right or wrong, that was Partco. I suppose if there is no demand up here for such a product then there is no need to care!

D

·
0 Posts
Nearest Fiat/Alfa dealer. You could try shop4parts too but time you pay for postage .......

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
hi people ,where is the best place to buy TUTELLA CS SPEED OIL thank you, thank you ,thank you
I get it from my local dealer for a VERY reasonable price (so reasonable that I no longer use anything else) so it goes to show the mmark up that's made on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thank you everyone,yes alfa dealer £11.20 and they gave my son a £6.00 model/toy car for being good whilst waiting,see even alfa dealers are better people,yet on line £14.99 plus delivery. thank you all once again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts