Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone hope you can help me . after telling everyone my sw ss was quite reliable i think my problems have just started , here goes !
about every 3 weeks i need to top my ss oil up from min level i cant find any leeks at all not even little pools of oil on the floor , it all works fine tho no warning lights to tell me somethings wrong . twice ive not been able to shift out of 2nd whilst sitting in traffic but putting it in city fixed this . would re calibration fix the gear problem as for the oil i just hope its not the actuator thingy ive read about , and does anyone know of a good alfa mech around west midlands . thanks for help in advance

p.s other than this the cars fantastic :confused:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hello Evel, The SS oil level does drop but I guess you're experiencing a worrying drop. I usually top up my ss oil about once a month with a tiny bit of oil. As for the gear shift problem - yes get it recalibrated (you don't say went it was done last). I had my 147 ss recalibrated in Nov 2006 and updated software flashed in. It made a huge difference. I got that done by a Alfa stealer (car was in for a bonnett latch recall so had a recal done). Cost me £80 for the recal - software update was free (believe it or not). So, my approach would be to book a recal at a stealer or indie and get them to check the sele system while you're there. Don't worry yet about the actuator - that is ALWAYS the last resort. Sorry, no idea for a good indie in WM. Good luck matey, Dai.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Hi Evel,
Try these guys:
WAD Alfa Romeo
Highly recommended. Main dealers Guests in Knowle aren't too bad either in my experience.
Cheers,
Simon_S

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks For Replying Guys Dai Youve Made Me Feel A Little Less Fraught Over This Problem , I Dont Know When It Was Last Callibrated Ive Only Had The Car For Just Over A Month , It Says Nothing In The Service Book About It Being Done,it Has Full Alfa Service History Last Service Was At 76 Thou , Its Now Done 96 Thou , So I'm Gonna Take It That Its Hasn't Had Recal . Simon I Was Going To Try Wad He's The Nearest Indie To Me , I,m In Wednesbury. The Only Other 1 I Know Is In Dudley , Extreme Something Used To Be Alfa Dealer But Dont Sell New Anymore , They Still Service Ive Heard . I'll Monitor How Much Oil I'm Putting In Before I Really Start Panicing . I Was Going On Other Threads That Suggested The Sele Oil Shouldn't Need Topping Up Unless Something Bad Had Gone Wrong . Once Again Thanx For Calming Me Down Guys .

·
Vendor
46,128 Posts
EVEL, Do You Purposely Capitalise Every First Letter Of Every Word Or Do You Use Software That Does It For You?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi normally the selespeed oil does not require topping up, as regular as you doing, if you are still putting oil in and there are no visual leaks try if you have not already done so check your gearbox oil as the actuator can acually leak past the seal and into the gearbox, how much oil are you putting in?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts