Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, looking for somehelp.

ive just done an oil change on my car, and now ive developed a problem with my selespeed gear box.

Initially i noticed that when picking up speed from 1st to select 2nd there would be a delay (longer then normal) i tried driving the car in city mode and the same would happen. Now the problem as i have it now, i cant select 2nd gear when im in 1st. When pulling away in first gear and i attempt to select 2nd gear, it'l pause for about a second sometimes 2, then select 3rd, now if im in 3rd i can select second gear as normal but as you can imagine this can cause problems when traveling uphill. once in a blue moon it will select 2nd but still with this huge delay.

with the car set to Mar i can select all the gears. now from what ive been reading on the forums it sounds like it could have something to do with the rod length. but i dont have alfa diag.

One thing to note i did have issue with the seespeed about 4 months ago (car would keep slipping to neutral) but a trip down to Simplyalfa and they had it fixed, they told me it was an issue with a small component in the car and they think they may have solved a majority of selespeed issues unfortunately they were reluctant to tell me what it was.

now i'm not sure if the oil filter change had anything to do with it but it seems too big of a coincidence to be ignored.

any help as always is appreciated!

·
Registered
59 Posts
when i first got mine i had the same problem. i found out that the absolute first thing to do is take the battery and tray out and roll your sleeves up!
you need to clean al of the contacts, sensors and wiring connectors around the selepspeed unit. it is surprising how filthy it gets.
get yourself a can of wd40 and a can of contact cleaner. some contacts are only accessible by getting under the car.
make sure your selespeed fluid(CS Tutela) level is ok too
furthermore trace the wiring back to the 20 pin connector under the MAF and check this
finally check the selespeed ECU which is located inside the black box sitting in passenger footwell.
good luck

remember, there are so many electrical sensors involved in the selespeed process, they all must be tip top clean and functional. mine has been fine since i did all the above about 5 months ago.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesnt look good, i dropped the car over at Simply Alfas yesterday, theyve run the examiner on it and theres no faults on the car or the selespeed. They reckon it would have to be something mechanical with the actuator itself. Unfortunately the only way to find out is to pull the whole thing apart and even then,there's no guarantees. All in all im looking at a bill of about 300 for labour plus vat they're gonna have a stab at it on Saturday.

Any ideas would be appreciated, or any selespeed experts that can maybe have a look at it first, id really like to avoid the huge bill if possible.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
There was something similar recently - someone had put 'better' oil in the engine, and the theory was that it was seeping out of the rear crank seal and contaminating the clutch.

Could you get it to Swindon? You'll get the definitive answer from Smaky ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont really trust the car on the motorway as il be driving down from birmingham, do you have a link the thread r.e contaminated oil, p.s it was magnatec oil if that makes any difference

Any ideas on how to get hold of smacky?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts