Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 156 selespeed (2001, x reg) sometimes while pulling away i change to 2nd gear, in goes in to 2nd but the computer jumps to another number, 4th or 5th, i then have to click down a gear to go up a gear!!! Also sometimes when i 1st pull away it jumps to 3rd or 4th, then when i put my foot down it then jumps back to 1st and wheel spin off. i have also noticed the rev counter isn't right, doesn't move as much as it should, it normally sits around the 0 - 1??? Any ideas? i love the car, but it's now starting to get on my nerves!!! :cry:

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
the rev counter may be faulty, this is an integral part of the selespeed system.
Did you check the clutch rod pin lenght ? a re-calibrate ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, i dont know anything about cars, thats why i came on here? i thought if i went alfa, they could tell me anything and i would be none the wiser?? if i get an idea of what could be wrong, then i could bluff my way though when i take to garage!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update

I took car to garage to check the clutch rod pin, they change it to right length and did re-cal, plus other computer stuff. it made the problem better, but not fixed, the computer still jumps all over the place, normally around 2 or 3rd gear, computer will jump to 5th or 4th, when stationary it will jump all over the place, then in reverse, (although car will still be in N) garage said it could be clutch or new gear box, he did know until he took apart, already spent £350 trying to sort it, don't want to spend much more!!
If anyone knows what it will be, I can then look into cost and see if it's worth having done!! i don't want to spend more than the car's worth!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
If the dial shows gears jumping around, can you hear noises like the gearbox trying to select gears?
The garage is right, the gearbox may well be dead - i've seen some that surprised me they worked at all. If the bearings are shot, the gears will be all over the place due to the gear shaft shifting around.
Having said this, there are 2 sensors on the actuator, one at the back and one at the top that mwasure where the gear shaft is, these could be at fault.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i can hear clicking noise when car in N, when pulling away, say from 1st to 2nd, the gear will jump to 4th, all i do is click down a gear, and it will go up to 3rd! i looked on ebay for gearbox, well into £100's i don't know much about cars, so do you think it might be worth taking it to alfa shop, to see if it's bearings etc, or do you think i should just get rid?? the car only cost me £1000 last yr, already spent about £400,

·
Registered
336 Posts
It would be a shame to get rid of it without getting it checked out properly.

The garage should be able to remove and check the gearbox speed sensor, usualy if the bearings are shot, the end of the sensor will be damaged. That's a 5 minute job to check.

If the sensor is ok, assume the box should be ok, then check the 2 sensors on the actuator.

If you pm me with your email address, i'll send you a pic of a damaged gearbox sensor and a pic of the 2 actuator sensors the garage can check out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts