Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey sele problems again???

After major leaks from the
gearbox and actuator I decided to open up the box and unit to seal with loctite and changed 6 oil seals in back plate of actuator.

I can only select reverse, when I try 1st there is a loud buzzing sound from the actuator as if it was going to explode but nothing happens... I managed to get it only twice in 1st and second. Changed ev2 and ev3 with no luck.

I can select 3rd 4th or 5th by using the even and odd gears in alfa diag, when I turn it off then on I find it in 3rd and can easily cycle to 5th and back down but drops to N if I try selecting second.

No errors showed up, pressure is between 45-55 bar, clutch rod 28.13

·
Registered
698 Posts
Done an EOL o it?

Baz

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Done an EOL o it?

Baz
Many times, it always fails as it tries to select 1st also hearing the loud buzzing sound (almost sounds like electricity or an electro magnet)

only time I got an error it was switch lever 2 and 3 and after some research I found a reply by Dave C that it means either clutch rod needed adjustment or ev2 is bad and I did both with no luck. Error disappeared as soon as I cleared it and didn't come back but I changed the ev2 and did the clutch but it was a failed attempt.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Did you mean both the clutch bleed and EOL procedures complete without error?
The o-rings that you replaced, the outer 2 visible ones are o-rings, should be ok. What about the other 4? I hope you replaced only o-rings and not the hydraulic seals.

So problem now is that you cannot select 1st or 2nd. Swap EV3 and EV4 around to check if the problem is at the solenoid?
Next would be to swap around the gear insertion sensor at the top with the range sensor at the backplate to see if it is sensor problem.

Anyway make sure there are no leaks from the system first.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Did you mean both the clutch bleed and EOL procedures complete without error?
The o-rings that you replaced, the outer 2 visible ones are o-rings, should be ok. What about the other 4? I hope you replaced only o-rings and not the hydraulic seals.

So problem now is that you cannot select 1st or 2nd. Swap EV3 and EV4 around to check if the problem is at the solenoid?
Next would be to swap around the gear insertion sensor at the top with the range sensor at the backplate to see if it is sensor problem.

Anyway make sure there are no leaks from the system first.
The system was working before with no errors but had major leaks .

I have changed the 2 visible o rings and then opened up the vertical piston. Found 3 green big seals all changed and one smaller black seal between the washer left as is. I have swapped ev2 and 3 with used ones I had that are confirmed to work and were stored in selespeed oil. The position sensor should also be working as it was before the rebuild.

Bleeding is completed no errors, calibration won't complete and no errors stored.

I was able to select 1st gear and second twice and I cycled through all gears fine but after a few minutes they were gone. 3,4,5 and reverse I have no problems with only first and second. I'm starting to think there maybe a problem in the gearbox itself?

If I remove the actuator I'm able to select all gears by hand using the selector shaft but sometimes it's hard to select first. Bear in mind gearbox has been completely dismantled and reassembled for inspection and cleaning.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think you may have changed the wrong seal. Of the 3 green seals, the centre one that goes on the outside of the carrier is an o-ring, that's fine. There are two other seals on the inside of the carrier, top and bottom. Those are hydraulic seals, they are not o-rings. But I think they are just wiper seals, so the most important sealing function comes from the black one that you see in the middle.
It may not be the cause of the problem but I don't think it's a good idea to use O-rings there because when the piston moves up and down it may cause O-rings to bind and tear, interfering with the operation afterwards.

I suggest you take off the backplate off for inspection first. If everything is ok then move on to the actual gearbox to see if there are any damage even if it was just refurbished.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suggest you take off the backplate off for inspection first. If everything is ok then move on to the actual gearbox to see if there are any damage even if it was just refurbished.
I have returned the 2 original hydraulic seals but made them slightly higher using a thread like material as they seemed too compressed. Piston goes up and down smoothly with good resistance and no wobble. Still the same error. Is it time I took apart the gearbox?

·
Registered
148 Posts
As you said it was working fine before so the electrics should be ok.
Using the selector shaft, hard to get the first.

If I remove the actuator I'm able to select all gears by hand using the selector shaft but sometimes it's hard to select first. Bear in mind gearbox has been completely dismantled and reassembled for inspection and cleaning.
Looks like it's time to check out the gearbox and see what is happening.

Anyway, you really should get it to successfully calibrated after everything is fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts