Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Thought it was all going swimmingly. However, I jumped into my 147 to take my daughter horse riding. She was stuck in 1st gear and no pump noise!! Had to take my dad's Nissan Note instead!!

There is plenty of CS fluid. In fact it looks really full!! I am thinking selespeed pump, accutator. Is there anything else I should be looking at before I sell my soul to the Italian money drain?

Any advice gratefully received!!

·
Registered
30,168 Posts
Pump relay.
50A near the battery.

·
Registered
30,168 Posts
If the pump doesn't run, check that relay.

Also check the battery terminals.
Has been known to just be a loose -ve clamp...!

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
It may be the battery is dieing now the cold nights are coming. The relays are common as is corrosion around the earthing points i the engine bay on a car of this age.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
when Selespeed is in gear no engine start is possible. Try sitting in the car with key in MAR opening the door to get the gear in N with the stick.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

Fuses seem fine. I am not sure which is the pump relay. There is just no pump noise when opening the doors or anything!!

I have tested the battery and it is kickin at 12.4, which should be OK?

Any other ideas before I call a mechanic??

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
pump does not start , check the relay ! 12.4 v is ok for startup
just pull out all the relays visible, clean contacts and put them in again.

·
Registered
30,168 Posts
12.4V should be ok, but it ideally needs charging, it is more than enough to run the pump though.

(12.2V or less is a flat battery...!)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked it all and it seems fine. I am assuming the pump is underneath the reservoir? I may give it a gentle tap....

I am off to the beach...in my wifes car.

Thanks for all your advice - it is great to have someone with knowledge to help out!

·
Registered
30,168 Posts
I am assuming the pump is underneath the reservoir?
yes

A tap will kick it into life but when it stops again the same thing is likely to happen.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Is the interior light still illuminating when you open the drivers door? If the door switch is faulty then it wontprime when you open it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts